It may be celebrating its 50th birthday, but the Audrey Hepburn classic Breakfast at Tiffany’s is still a huge infuence on todays fashion.
And so I wasn’t shocked this week to read new research that found that the LBD, made famous in the film, is still considered to be a woman’s essential wardrobe item.
Though it may have been made famous in the 50s/60s, the LBD can easily be brought into the 21st century, so here a five fashion tips for making a statement while retaining all of that impeccable Audrey elegance.
1. Bold shoes: The statement shoe is a massive 2011 trend so why not brighten up your LBD with a stunning pair of courts in a pink, teal, red or purple. There are so many shades that are making an impact this a/w, making it one of the best ways to make a show stopping entrance.
2. Change the length: Though it may be LDB by name, different/unusal lengthed dresses and skirts is something to watch out for. Why not go retro with a twist and choose a midi, tube dress? From highend to highstreet there are some beauties to be had and provide a little twist on the classic.
3. Swap the choker for a collar: Audrey may have worn a sparkling choker with her LBD, but this season is all about the embellished collar. Not only is this trendy, but it gives it a little edge on original glamour too.
4. Go Chunky: It may not be the most classic way to dress an LBD, but chunky shoe boots and geometric jewellery is a way to bulk up the look without having to put in too much effort. With a great pair of plain or brightly coloured shoe boots and a statement bangle or two, this look instantly becomes youthful, to meet style with cutting edge-trend.
5. Forget stilettos, it’s hello Kitten heel: Who said that the LBD had to be one for the night? The dress is becoming a popular daywear staple for a/w with even more interesting options in tights and legwear meaning the look can be warm as well as stylish. Go for a cute kitten heel, tailored blazer and classic Aud up-do to keep all the style, but just bringing it out into the light.