Belly Button Piercing Scar

Health: Get slim, Feel fit, stay Healthy
Act now regain your life.

Moderator: Silent One

LFA

Belly Button Piercing Scar

Postby LFA » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:32 am

Hello! I took my belly button ring/barbell out after 2 years. It's been about 7 months since I took it out, and it has left a noticeable hole, with a very dark circle around it, and the area around it is depressed. I expected a scar, but not this. It looks awful.

I'm wondering if anybody has advice on what to do about this? My dermatologist was going to punch the scar out and resew it. I am not against minor surgery for the scar, I just want to see what others have done about this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

AG

belly scar

Postby AG » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:59 am

LFA - I don't have an answer for you but I have the same problem and would like to know if anything can be done. I let my belly ring hole close up a few years ago and then had a baby 6 months ago. SInce the baby the scar is now depressed and I HATE IT! I saw 1 plastic surgeon who said it was not worth it to fix it because he would have to cut an eye shape around the scar and stich it back together leaving me with a horizontal line scar that's bigger than what I have now. His advice was to live with it or get it re-pierced to cover the scar. Your dermotologist' solution seems easier.....

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:33 am

AG-Congratulations on motherhood! I think that both your plastic surgeon and my dermatologist had the same thing in mind. . . to cut out the scar and resew it. However, maybe your plastic surgeon didn't understand what you hate about the scar- that's it's depressed- an if you're like me, that it looks just like what it is, an old piercing. Even if he left you with a bigger, horizontal scar, the scar might look better- more like a line that can fade, instead of a dark hole!

Did your plastic surgeon mention lasers? Even if you get the depressed area resewn and it leaves a bigger scar, it still might be a more natural looking scar, and it also might respond better than a depressed scar to lasers. I know this might all sound extreme, but I know I think anything would be worth fixing this thing!
Sorry this is so long, but I hate bugging my friends about this, and it sounds like you loath your belly button pierce scar as much as I do! I think you should keep looking for a derm/doctor who understands you truly hate your scar, and that while the scar might never "disappear", it can still be a better looking scar than it is. I think a lot of people assume it might not be worth all the trouble because it's "small." I also think the plastic surgeon gave bad advice when he suggested repiercing it! Write back when you get a chance. . .

AG

Postby AG » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:56 pm

Thanks for the message. You know I've been searching on the internet and this was the only place I found that has a case similar to mine. So, I made another appointment with a idfferent plastic surgeon(one that someone had recommended) next week so I'll let you know the outcome. I agree with you though, I hate it and a regular scar would be better than this....No one mentioned lazers so I will ask about that. Your right though, people think I'm silly for caring about something so small but is it so much more noticeable than a regular scar. If this doctor has the same idea about cutting it I think I will go through with it. I might ask if it's possible to make the incision inside my belly button near the top. I think this would stretch the skin flat where the bely ring was so you'd see the scar I have, but at least it would be flat. Of course I'm not a doctor but I think that would work......keep me posted if you find a solution....

LFA

Postby LFA » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:04 pm

AG- I posted a message for you a couple of days ago, but it looks like it didn't get through. I'll recap! I'm glad you wrote back! I haven't found any similar stories on the internet, either, which has aggravated my frustration. I think it's great that you have an appt. with a new doctor. I figure that cosmetic doctors fix ALOT worse than this, so there has to be something that can be done to improve it. Just make sure your doctor is patient and listens to your concerns and goes over all your options. Will you keep me posted?

I am in the process of making some appointments myself, so I will let you know what I find out. Write back and let me know what happens!

Denise-piercing

belly button piercing

Postby Denise-piercing » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:01 am

hey ppl,
i wana ask advice on a belly button piercing, im thinking of getting 1 this summer. i always wanted 1 they luk so cul so if u have any advice pls help me out.
thanx, denise

cl

Postby cl » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:10 pm

Well I have the same problem, I have had my piercing for about 10 years. I have taken it out for months, several times and it never closes. The reason why I put it back in is because the scar it leaves is dark and it looks better if you just leave it in, I have it out now, but I want it to close and leave no scar I go to the Dermatologist on March 24 I will post what he says.

cl

Postby cl » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:11 pm

Well I have the same problem, I have had my piercing for about 10 years. I have taken it out for months, several times and it never closes. The reason why I put it back in is because the scar it leaves is dark and it looks better if you just leave it in, I have it out now, but I want it to close and leave no scar I go to the Dermatologist on March 24 I will post what he says.

LFA

Postby LFA » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:58 pm

I just came across a plastic surgery website where the plastic surgeon recommended revising the belly button piercing scar by punching it out and resewing it. . . so it seems as though my dermatologist was on the right track! Please write back after your visit. . . I know there HAS to be a reasonable solution to this.

Muffin

Postby Muffin » Sun May 08, 2005 12:19 am

Many people have had good results from rubbing vitamin E oil on scars twice a day. Can't help about the depression though :(

Beanie
Wet behind the ears

Postby Beanie » Sun May 08, 2005 4:53 pm

Have any of you researched laser treatment that can be used for acne scars?

lizzie80

Postby lizzie80 » Mon May 23, 2005 11:42 am

Yeah, I agree, look for other treatments such as lasers, or there's this new treatment that has been mentioned on these boards before called Isolagen. I saw it on Richard and Judy and Cosmetic Surgery Live and I reckon it might work for scars like yours. http://www.isolagen.co.uk Good luck! :D

Split Navel

Postby Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 12:11 am

I've had my navel pierced for a year and just the other day I woke up and found my piercing had come out. The skin had split because my body rejected. Does anyone know what I can use to make it heal? Please email me at [email protected]

xStarlinx

Postby xStarlinx » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:09 am

hey. well i KINDA have the same problem as you guys, i have wanted my belly button piereced forever and my mom was all up for it but i had to wait till i was19. so i waited.. untill about 4 months ago, then i got a 14g sized needle and piercedmy belly button, except i didnt get the barbell through. so it just left a horrid scar. now my birthday is in about 12 days and i want to know if when i go to a body piercing shop, if they will be able to pierce through the scar, or have to go beside it. if anyone can tell -. thanks again <3

Bubbles14

Piercing help!!

Postby Bubbles14 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:08 am

Hey,

Im 14 and had my belly button done about 3 months ago. I have a barbell in it, and in the middle of it (the skin in the middle) is a little sore and It sometimes bleeds and puss usually comes out of it. I clean it all the time, but i do dancing and have to wear tight clothing. It's a bit crusty at the top of the 2 holes. It doesnt appear to be swallon. It's not usually red. Please help me...what's wrong??? i dont want to tell my mum just yet cuz she will freak!!

Return to “Health”