Marvelon???

Health: Get slim, Feel fit, stay Healthy
Act now regain your life.

Moderator: Silent One

mishelle81

Marvelon???

Postby mishelle81 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi All

I started using marvelon a week ago and just wondered if anyone else is using/ has used it and what your expereinces are????

i used dianette about 4 years ago for 3 years and then had to stop becasue i started getting the most awful headaches, i had started using dianette to regulate my heavy periods after i had an ovarian cyst removed mr Dr recommended dianette cos i had suffered with acne during my late teens. I changed to microgynon by never got on with it it made me feel sick and generally unwell so since then have laid off taking the pill.

then the really bad periods have started again so the doctor recommended Marvelon because i was worried about putting weight on and becuase i had just got my skin clear.

i have been on it for about a week and have had a couple of spot break outs - i normally do prior to my period but im hoping they will clear once my body gets used to the pill. has this happened to anyone else?????? and is it true that marvelon is supposed to help bad skin like dianette????

Thanks for reading
Michelle x

catja

Marvelon

Postby catja » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:55 pm

I've been on Marvelon since Feb of last year to control bleeding associated with a fibroid. From my own experiences and from research I've conducted, the subject of birth control is a tricky topic. For example, there is no scientific evidence to support that it causes weight gain, and yet it is obvious that many women gain weight, either because of water retention and/or hormones triggering appetite increase. From my personal experience, losing weight while on Marvelon has been impossible, despite eating moderately and exercising 4 to 5 times a week. In fact, just recently my bra size has increased a size in the cup (to a DD which is not very comfortable). The only advise I can give you is to carefully monitor your reactions to Marvelon and if the symptoms are mild, give it 2 to 3 months for your body to adjust to it. In the beginning, I went through a breakout of acne, and flip back and forth between having periods of great skin and horrible skin. I've also experienced a lot of break through bleeding, but probably at no fault to Marvelon. My fibroid is a bleeder, and the Marvelon has helped to keep it in check most of the time. There is no one pill that will satisfy everyone equally, and some women cannot take it at all. The trick is to find the right dosage that works with your biochemistry. Hope this helps.

x_megan_x
High Priestess

Postby x_megan_x » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:26 pm

I was on marvelon, it was ok but I did put weight on. My skin stayed clear, but after about a year I had constant spotting so had to change pill. Every woman reacts differently so just keep an account of how if effects you, and tell your gp if you dont like it.
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Jecca
Chatter

Postby Jecca » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I've been on marvelon for about 3 years and have no problems with it at all. The pill doesn't cause you to gain weight - sometimes it just increases your appetite, so you need to learn to eat the same quantity. If anything, Marvelon gave me appetite reduction! I get a few spots when i have 3 pills left in my packet, but nothing severe.

Smoking is not advised with Marvelon due to increased risk of blood clots...

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm 27 and I've been on Marvelon for a couple of years. I was on Dianette since the age of 16, which cleared up my skin, but I went back to my doctor after I was having very long periods.
I call it 'Marvelous Marvelon.' I've had no weight gain, I cannot connect my mood swings to my pill, my skin is clear and my periods are now a reasonable length.
BUT, my sex-drive has plummeted in the past 18 months. As I have been on Marvelon for over 3 years, I really don't know whether it is to do with the pill, or to do with the fact that I have a full-time job and also a part-time job.
Any advice?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:44 am

I've been on Marvelon for a year and it did make my skin slightly worse for a while at first but then it calmed down.
I didn't put on hardly any weight, not as much as I did when I was on Dianette, anyway.
Didn't find I was as moody as when I was on Dianette either. Wouldn't recommend Dianette to anyone. In comparison Marvelon has been fine.
The only downside I found with it was that, according to my GP, it caused tissue from my cervix to spread downwards making sex at times quite painful. I have a friend who suffered from the same problem but she wasn't on Marvelon, she was on a different pill so it's obviously not just linked to Marvelon. GP says it's nothing to worry about as it causes no harm and you can have a little operation done to remove the excess tissue. I'm not trying to alarm anyone or put people off using the pill but I just think it's good that you are all more informed about the things it CAN do to you. I've decided to come off the pill to give my body a break, I'm starting to forget what I was like before I started shoving hormones down my throat every day!
Hope this has been helpful.

Friskyvixon

Marvelon

Postby Friskyvixon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:59 pm

I have been on Marvelon for almost 8 years. This pill has been pretty good, but for any prolonged usuage of anything, things start to change. My libido is pretty blah, and has been for years... I have fibroids in my breasts and in the past few months they have been getting worse with the pill. Needless to say I have just chucked out my last pack and quitting cold turkey. I need to give my body a rest from the drugs and get used to having the natural side affects take place. If your breast seem to get heavy and very sore (with lumps) please go and see your doctor for screening. Regular check ups while on any pill is a must, things hidden with the pill overtime.

Oh yeah I was on Tri-Cyclen for 5 years before I was on Marvelon (time to give the body a break I think :) Good luck ladies!

stripysweatergirl

Postby stripysweatergirl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:40 pm

I don't understand why people are talking about giving your body a break- there is no evidence at all that it's beneficial to you. You naturally have these hormones in your body anyway.

Zoella

Marvelon

Postby Zoella » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:39 am

I have been on Marvelon for 18 years. I am average weight for my height and had no problems whatsoever with it. I get no pain or headaches during my periods and often forget i am having one. I generally take 4 packets at a time then have a period so i only have about 3 periods a year which is great.

devilishsweetpea

marvelon

Postby devilishsweetpea » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:57 pm

i am not sure if this is a good pill or not. my doctor has me taking it for 3 months non stop and then i have my period and then 3 months straight again. is this healthy? so far i have just started and this is my first period in 3 months i have gained a bra size and every where else!!!!!!!!!! i have been 115 since i have had my daughter 8 years ago and since i started this pill i am now 125!! i know thats not too bad but i am sooo bloated i look it and feel it. come on i have never had a gut is this normal. i have read some of these post and alot of you have experienced weight gain what should we do?????? i am also only 27 and my sex drive in the past 3 months has gone down. that really sucks

slc87

Not so marvelous marvelon

Postby slc87 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:40 pm

I very much agree that each pill will affect individuals differently.
I started on microgynon30 and then on to ovranette. Just finished a course of 6months of marvelon and have gained over half a stone, even when eating a lot less than I would do and increasing my exercise, the weight would not budge.
I must say that timing was everything with marvelon for me. I was late taking one pill and followed the catch-up prcedure - I've never experienced such changable moods as I did that day!
Sex drive, what sex drive?! Generally from when i first started on the pill, I noticed a sizable change in my sex drive but I feel that Marvelon definately finished off the little that I have left.

I'm now on Yasmin and just hoping for the best. I do think its about trial and error on the pill; my friend is on her 5 or 6th type and she's only 21!

Good Luck ladies

*heather*

Postby *heather* » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:04 pm

marvalon has not worked at all for me, I am 21 and seem to have no sex drive! I came of mg30 because of heavy periods. But I would rather heavy painful periods than the headaches and lack of feeling, I can feel but its just uncomfortable. its horrid!

firstaidgirl

Re: Marvelon???

Postby firstaidgirl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:30 pm

I have been on marvelon for about 3 years now. In the past couple i have experienced wild mood swings, depression, impatience, loss of interest in everything, digestion issues, and panic attacks. It was great for the first year but i saw my doctor about a year ago and he recommended a B complex vitamin. It worked for awhile but they are back in full force. Any one have a suggestion to something that may work any better. My boyfriend is ready to kill me.

Shereebee

Postby Shereebee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:22 pm

I am 21 and have been on the pill since 16.

I started with Dianette (a high estrogen pill) for my acne...it cleaed up beautifully, however i started to notice slightly lower libido.
I then went onto Yasmin because apparently Dianette wasn't good to be on for more than 2 years. Yasmin was ok initially my spots stayed away...but i had problems with heavy discharge and recurrent thrush which the doctors just kept giving me Canesten for...again and again. It wasn't until THREE YEARS later when i was diagnosed wth cervical erosion (created by estrogen levels in BCP and the cause of my heavy discharge) i started doing my research into my symptoms. I was surprised how many people on Yasmin (and the pill in general) had recurring thrush. By this point my sex drive was almost none existant.
I had my erosion operated on in May 2008 but in September it was back AGAIN with worse symptoms than ever...heavy discharge and now bleeding and pain from sex. I came off yasmin there and then and was put on Marvelon.
The first month was a nightmare, huge sore breasts, terrible mood swings, feeling TOTALLY out of it, heavy bleeding....this second month has been better, but my sex drive (what little of it there was) is now GONE completely. However there appears to be no thrush any more.
I am booked in for erosion operating on again, and although Marvelon seems to be settling down in my body, i want to be put on a VERY low dose estrogen pill (marvelon is just low dose) to try and prevent this erosion happening again.

I am seriously considering coming off the pill completely. It's not worth the hassle. I want my sex drive back again as it used to be VERY healthy, and i want these erosions to STOP. It might sound vain but i'd HATE my acne to return....but that was 6 years ago now and it may be ok.....i have gone from high dose estrogen pills to low dose and they haven't really made ANY attempt to return.

has anyone else had ANY problems i've listed and what did you do about it? has anyone gone onto a pill which has helped sex drive? or come off the pill totally?
Please share your experiences with me, i feel totally alone in this and am considering officially complaining about the NHS for taking three years to diagnose me...and even longer to give me answers to why this was happening. I expect the doctors i saw previously simply didn't have a clue. they just sent me for STD screening again and again and told me to wear cotton briefs. They simply made me feel like a stereotypical sleeparound teenager, when nothing could have been further from the truth as i have always been in faithful long term relationships.

scalz

Postby scalz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Im 28 and have been on the pill since 16 - Dianette to help my skin, I was on it for a good few years but my GP was keen to get me off it as he said it wasnt for "long term".
I was put on Yasmin as this is supposed to be very similar to Dianette- I noticed almost no changes and my skin was still fantastic....after about a year I suffered some horrible discharges which made me feel awful about myself, I was luckily with Bupa and got treated quickly by a gynaecologist who recommended that if I went back on Dianette it would sort itself out...which it did...great! After a while I was recommended once again to come off Dianette and was put onto Marvelon.
I was on it for a couple of years and thought everything was absolutley fine apart from a bit of breast tenderness....oh and I didnt have a very good sex drive but didnt associate this with the pill. I decided in Feb last year (08) to have a break mainly cause I had run out. Being off the pill was fine and thinking about it now my sex drive was better than ever but even at this age I get very oily skin and my back flared up so 2 months ago I went back onto Marvelon, my breasts have been sore for probably 6 out of 8 weeks and Ive just triggered today that for the last 2 months Ive had virtually no sex drive at all!! Its horrible, I started questioning why and thought about the pill and googled marvelon and I find all you ladies saying similar things! Im so pleased Ive worked it out - Ive felt down about having no sex drive, I was just about to start my 3rd month so Im not going to bother!

Return to “Health”