Jubilee Bake recipes from Ella Valentine Baking eggs
Makes 1 large cake
For the sponge:
220g unsalted butter softened
220g caster sugar
4 ella valentine Baking eggs beaten
220g Self raising flower sifted
1tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp milk (optional)
For the filling:
400ml clotted Cream
100ml double Cream
1 jar blueberry jam
1 jar raspberry jam
3 x 20cm round cake tins
greased and lined
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c (or 160c fan)
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Gradually beat in the eggs
- Add the vanilla essence and lightly fold in the flour
- Loosen the mixture with the milk if needed. (the mixture should drop easily from the spoon)
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level
- Bake for 25-30mins until risen and lightly browned. A skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Combine the clotted and double cream in a bowl. If the mixture is too running gently whisk by hand until it forms soft peaks.
10. Take one sponge and spread it generously with blueberry jam. Follow this with a thick layer of cream. Be careful not to spread to the very edge of the cake otherwise it will spill out when you add the next layer!
11. Place a second sponge layer on top of the first, gently pressing down until level.
12. Spread the second layer generously with raspberry jam followed by the cream and the final layer of sponge
13. Spread the remainder of the cream on the top of the cake and decorate with the fresh berries in the shape of a union Jack.