Viva strawberry Creme Catalan
A subtly Spanish twist on a French classic. These simple desserts are perfect when you’re entertaining - make them in advance and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to start. Then just create the crunchy topping and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Chilling time: 2 - 3 Hours
12 Viva Strawberries
1tbsp orange liqueur
For the Custard:
1L full fat milk
Zest of ½ an orange
Zest of ½ a lemon
5cm of cinnamon stick
6 large egg yolks
50g unrefined caster sugar
For the topping:
4 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
Extra Viva strawberries to decorate
1. Hull and quarter the strawberries and, in a bowl, sprinkle over the sugar and orange liqueur. Stir then leave to stand while you prepare the custard.
2. In a heavy based saucepan heat the milk, peel and cinnamon on a medium heat. Bring to the boil and leave to infuse while the milk cools again. Once cooled sieve the milk and discard the solids.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the caster sugar until they are pale and thick then add the corn flour and whisk in the cooled milk. Return the custard to a heavy based pan and cook, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and boils for just 1 minute.
4. Scoop the strawberries into 4 brulee dishes or large ramekins. Pour the custard on top of the strawberries, spread it to level then leave to set in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
5. When you’re ready to serve sprinkle each dish with a tablespoon of sugar and blast with a blow torch until the sugar is bubbling. Alternatively you can use a very hot grill. Serve immediately.