As the evenings grow darker and the days get colder the ultimate cosy night in has to be in front of the fire with a delicious, warming pud.
Nothing beats homemade and Kirstie’s simple recipe for Spiced Plum Puddings is no exception.
With a layer of juicy, fruity plums sat on a base of warm sponge they are the ultimate comfort food to enjoy with your family and friends.
Made with autumnal spices, including nutmeg and ginger, each sponge has a truly scrumptious flavour and thanks to Kirstie’s secret ingredient, Nestlé Carnation Condensed Milk ®, the sponge is extra moist.
Taking no longer than 25 minutes to prepare, you can rustle these up in no time to make the perfect after dinner treat.
Best served with lashings of custard, these puddings will be a firm family favourite this winter and the perfect addition to your night in!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
3 ripe plums
85g (3oz) butter
85g (3oz) Nestlé Carnation Condensed Milk ®
100g (3½oz) self raising flour
¼tsp baking powder
Freshly grated nutmeg
1tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, (160°C for fan ovens), Gas Mark 4.
2. Halve the plums and remove the stones, then chop into quarters. Tip into a pan with 3tbsp water and 2tbsp sugar. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until soft.
3. Beat the remaining ingredients in bowl until smooth.
4. Butter 4 x 150ml (¼pt) metal pudding basins (or ramekins or small robust coffee cups) and place into a roasting tin.
5. Spoon the plums into the pudding basins. Top with the sponge and level the tops.
6. Pour hot water into the roasting tin until about halfway up the sides of the puddings. Cover the whole tin with foil, carefully transfer to the oven (taking care to keep the tin level) and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and turning golden at the edges.
7. Turn the puddings out and serve with freshly made custard.
Add any spices you like to the pudding - you could just add a good pinch or two of mixed spice or just the cinnamon. Try this recipe with cooked apples or pears when in season.