Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 2-2½ hours
- 450g/1lb stewing or braising steak, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sunflower oil
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour
- 10ml/2tsp paprika powder
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g/6oz field or chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 300ml/½pint good red wine
- 10ml/2tsp tomato purée
- 15ml/1tbsp brown sauce
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 450g/1lb unpeeled waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 25g/1oz melted butter
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a moderate heat. In a large plastic bag add the flour, paprika and seasoning. Add the beef and toss in the seasoned flour.
- Cook the beef in batches for 4-5 minutes until brown, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes and transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, wine, tomato purée, brown sauce, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.
- Meanwhile, place the potato slices and melted butter in a large bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Spoon the beef equally into four 300ml/½ pint round or oval ovenproof dishes. Finish with the potato slices, place on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the pot pies with seasonal vegetables and crusty bread.
Recipe courtesy of Love British Food. The Great British Food fortnight runs 17th September - 2nd October. http://www.lovebritishfood.co.uk/
Tagged in Recipe