This lightly spiced Cajun rice dish, originated in Louisiana in the USA. It is easy to cook as it is cooked all in one pan.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: about 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 100 g chorizo sausage, skin removed and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 225 g easy cook long grain rice
- 600 ml hot chicken stock
- 250 g bottle Newman's Own Spicy Cajun Sauce
- 1 red and green pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 50 g frozen peas
- 150 g cooked peeled prawns
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or saucepan, with a lid. Add the chorizo and onion cook for 2-3 minutes, until the paprika oil is released.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in the rice to coat in the paprika oil.
- Add 450 ml of stock and the Cajun sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peppers, peas and spring onions, (reserving a few onions for garnish) and remaining stock. Stir well then cover and cook, for a further 8-10 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the prawns and heat through, then serve garnished with the remaining spring onions.
Recipe courtesy of Newman's Own
Tagged in Recipe