Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes (30 minutes preparation and 75 minutes cooking)
- 100g butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 9g baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 250ml of Little Valley Brewery's Stoodley Stout
- 100g walnuts
- 400g dates
- Mix sugar and butter in one bowl.
- Stir the egg with a fork and then add to the butter and sugar. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, sodium bicarbonate, allspice and cloves.
- Keep three spoons of the flour mix separate and add the rest to the butter, sugar and egg mix.
- Add the beer and mix carefully with the batter.
- Chop the walnuts. De-stone the dates and chop. Mix the remaining flour mix with the dates and walnuts. Add this to the batter and stir carefully.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Grease the 1lb loaf tin with butter and powder with flour. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 75 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the tin carefully.
- Wrap in foil and store in the fridge for one day to enrich the taste.
- Serve a slice of cake with a glass of the remaining Stoodley Stout.
For more information about Little Valley Brewery visit www.littlevalleybrewery or follow Little Valley on Twitter at @littlevalleyale.
Tagged in Recipe