HOW TO STAY HYDRATED THIS WINTER
As the days are getting shorter and colder it's easy to overlook the importance of staying hydrated during the winter months. In fact, it's just as important as in the summertime and is essential for our wellbeing, giving our immune system a boost during the dreaded cold and flu season.
Dr. Ali Lazem is the founder of NEW Flõ Essence Water, a range of super pure natural mineral water infused with only a hint of natural flavours. Here he reveals his top tips to stay hydrated this winter.
1) Top up your water intake with warming drinks. Try not to reach for hot chocolate and go for herbal teas instead. There's lots of great flavours for winter months like sweet cinnamon, hibiscus and blackberry and rosehip
2) If the thought of sipping ice-cold water sends shivers down your spine, then warm it up. Squeeze some lemon in and add a piece of ginger and hey presto you have a tasty alternative which will ward of any sniffles and sneezes
3) Some fruit and vegetables have a high percentage of water content so eat your way to hydration. Check out oranges, cranberries, cabbage, broccoli and spinach - all plentiful in winter months
4) As the Christmas party season cranks up it's likely your alcohol consumption will too. Alcohol makes it harder for the body to oxygenate so you will sweat more than normal. If you drink, have a glass of water with each beverage. You'll keep hydrated and keep the hangover at bay
5) Cold weather foods like potatoes, squash and sweet potatoes have high levels of potassium, which help transport water throughout the body and keep us in tip top condition
6) Variety is the spice of life so add some healthy flavoured water into your daily water routine but watch what you are drinking, some flavoured waters are calorific and contain sugar and sweeteners.