British asparagus comes into season on April 23rd, but the slender green spears are on shelves all year round thanks to growers in Peru, Mexico and other sunnier climes.
Healthy, versatile and simple to cook, when it comes to getting your quota of fruit and veg in, asparagus is a great choice.
Here we give you our top 10 reasons to pick up a bundle or a pack of asparagus tips, and get creating in the kitchen.
- Daniel O'Shaughnessy AKA The Naked Nutritionist says that asparagus can help both pre- and post- workout rich in choline and b vitamins which can support your liver detoxification pathways which can support exercise longevity, recovery and support energy production.
- British asparagus is only in season for 8 weeks (from April 23rd, St.George’s Day to the Summer Solstice on 21st June) so it’s time to make the most of it while you can.
- It’s versatile – whether you steam it and serve it on the side or pop it in pasta, chuck it in a curry or slip it in to a stir-fry it cooks quickly and with no fuss!
- Chefs love it – Nigel Slater says “The arrival of asparagus marks a change in the year for me. Those first bunches turn up on the trestle tables at the market when my own vegetable patch is flush with green shoots and hope. Yes, it's a luxury, but the home-grown stuff will only be with us till the third week of June or so, and I am happy to do without other luxuries just to get my twice-a-week fill. A treat indeed.”
- It may help you get lucky(!) studies have shown It can improve your libido. Research by International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Drug Research, showed that when rats consumed asparagus their “mount rate” increased dramatically!
- It helps banish those spring colds as it’s also a rich source of vitamin C, which boosts your immune system.
- If it’s good enough for the Greeks… The ancient Greeks recommended asparagus to cure everything from toothache to heart disease.
- It improves digestion. Eating asparagus promotes healthy bacteria in the large intestine and can help reduce bloating.
- It’s an egg’s best friend! Whether you wrap your asparagus spears in bacon and dip them in a boiled egg, or you do a warm Caesar salad with asparagus spears and a poached egg, the combination of runny yolk and asparagus is a fan favourite!
- When you buy British spears between the end of April and June 21st you are supporting growers all over the UK. With over 100 asparagus growers; from those with 1 acre right up to those growing for your local supermarket, you’re keeping a home-grown industry thriving!
So, there we have it. 10 top reason to pop asparagus in your basket next time you’re at the supermarket, greengrocer or farm shop. Those spears have a lot more to offer than what meets the eye…