36 per cent of drivers dangerously use hot water to de-ice their windscreens, with a further 27 per cent admitting to using a credit card, 12 per cent trying their luck with a CD case and 3 per cent resorting to using a shoe!
Nationwide Autocentre has provided the following top five tips for windscreen care during the cold snap:
- NEVER use hot water to de-ice windscreens
- Only use an purpose made ice-scraper on car windows
- Turn heaters up gradually to de-mist windows
- Use washer fluid which contains de-icer to reduce the risk of water freezing on your windscreen while using washers
- NEVER set off unless you have full visibility out of the windscreen, side windows and side mirrors
Nationwide Autocentre is the UK’s leading MOT and car servicing specialist, with over 200 centres across the UK. The centres are approved by the AA and most of the UK’s leading fleet operators. Nationwide Autocentre is also AM Magazine’s 'Car Repairer of the Year' for 2008. The centres provide servicing, MOT and general repairs for all makes of cars and vans and provide a unique 100% customer satisfaction guarantee, as well as a 12 month or 12,000 mile warrantee on repairs – whichever is sooner.