Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted has stormed to the top of the U.S. box office and held off the challenge for the highly anticipated movie Prometheus.
It has been four years since the last Madagascar movie hit the big screen but the franchise seems to be as popular as ever as it grossed $60.3 million in it's opening weekend to claim the top spot.
It comfortably saw off Prometheus, which sees Ridley Scott return to the sci-fi genre, by taking $10 million more over the weekend.
Prometheus has been one of the most highly anticipated movies of the year so far but it had to settle for second as it took $50,000 at the box office.
Last week's number one Snow White and the Huntsman slipped to places to number three after just a week at the #1.
However the unexpected success of the movie has led to a sequel being confirmed at the end of last week.
Men in Black III was also down two place at four while there was a two place drop for Avengers Assemble as it rounded off the top five.
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a none mover at six as the heartwarming movie continues to delight audiences and What to Expect When You're Expecting also stayed put at number seven.
Battleship and The Dictator were the biggest fallers this week as they both dropped four places to eight and nine.
Moonrise Kingdom was in a ten as it rose three places from last week.
1. (-) Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - $60,350,000
2. (-) Prometheus - $50,000,000
3. (1) Snow White and the Huntsman - $23,021,000
4. (2) Men in Black III - $13,500,000
5. (3) The Avengers - $10,809,000
6. (6) The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - $3,235,000
7. (7) What to Expect When You're Expecting - $2,710,000
8. (4) Battleship - $2,286,000
9. (5) The Dictator - $2,150,000
10. (13) Moonrise Kingdom - $1,579,000