Trumbo was the big winner when the Screen Actors Guild Award nominations were announced yesterday, as the biopic picked up three nominations.
The movie, which follows the career of Hollywood screenwriter Donald Trumbo; who was blacklisted for his political beliefs in the later 1940s, was nominated for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, Best Actor for Bryan Cranston and Best Supporting Actress for Helen Mirren.
The Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture category looks set to be a tough one as Trumbo is set to do battle with Beasts of No Nation, The Big Short, Spotlight and Straight Outta Compton.
The Best Actor is also going to be a close call as Cranston is nominated alongside Johnny Depp (Black Mass), Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant), Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs) and Eddie Redmayne (The Danish Girl).
Redmayne won the Best Actor SAG last year for his performance for The Theory of Everything and he looks set to be in the Oscar mix once again.
The Danish Girl picked up two nominations as Alicia Vikander was recognised in the Best Supporting Actress category for her performance.
Carol was another film that picked up two nominations as Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara picked up Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress nominations.
Helen Mirren was a double nominee as she has also picked up a Best Actress nomination for her role in Woman in Gold. Brie Larson (Room), Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn), and Sarah Silverman (I Smile Back) complete the Best Actress line-up.
While DiCaprio was nominated for Best Actor for his performance in The Revenant, co-star Tom Hardy was overlooked of Best Supporting Actor.
Christian Bale, Mark Rylance, and Idris Elba lead the British charge as they picked up nominations for The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, and Beasts of No Nation. Michael Shannon and Jacob Tremblay completed the line-up for their performances in 99 Homes and Room.
The blockbusters are not completely overlooked at the SAGS, as Everest, Furious 7, Jurassic World, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation have all be recognised for their stunt work.
A full list of nominees is presented below:
- Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
- Beasts of No Nation
- The Big Short
- Straight Outta Compton
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
- Bryan Cranston - Trumbo
- Johnny Depp - Black Mass
- Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant
- Michael Fassbender - Steve Jobs
- Eddie Redmayne - The Danish Girl
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
- Cate Blanchett - Carol
- Brie Larson - Room
- Helen Mirren - Woman in Gold
- Saoirse Ronan - Brooklyn
- Sarah Silverman - I Smile Back
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
- Christian Bale - The Big Short
- Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation
- Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies
- Michael Shannon - 99 Homes
- Jacob Tremblay - Room
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
- Rooney Mara - Carol
- Rachel McAdams - Spotlight
- Helen Mirren - Trumbo
- Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl
- Kate Winslet - Steve Jobs
- Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
- Furious 7
- Jurassic World
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
The winners will be announced 30th January 2016.