Dashni Morad is without a doubt one of this year’s most exciting artists. Unafraid to put all of her emotion and personality into her material, she’s now ready to take on the music scene with the release of her debut single, ‘Love Wins’.
Speaking about the track, Dashni writes: “’Love Wins’ is really a personal message to the common people of the world. Over the last few years, I have spent a lot of time working with refugees in Kurdistan, and this has really changed my life and ambitions. The message is simply that these refugees, particularly refugee children, are in desperate need of the world’s help. And instead of extending a helping hand, so much of the world has decided, through certain political changes or otherwise, to ignore and distance themselves from the problem.
“’Love Wins’ is a song that promotes love, and the notion that love can overcome hate. And although the message is poignant, the song itself is colourful and uplifting. We hope to raise further awareness to the catastrophe, and we hope we make them dance whilst doing it.”
We got the chance to ask Dashni a little bit about herself – read on to find out the 10 things she wants YOU to know about HER!
1. I like to start my day off with an early morning movie at about 7am. Preferably a Spielberg classic… You know, something that gives you enough magic and wonder to last the entire day.
2. In my youth, I was a promising amateur footballer, however my parents thought it best I stop and pursue more traditional girly activities. And that’s when my revolt began.
3. I try to eat healthily, but Indian food is my Achilles Heel. London has got to be one of the best cities in the world to eat Indian, and because of that I’m beginning to accept that whilst I live here, I’m never going to be as slim as I want!
4. Whenever I have trouble sleeping, I put one of my beloved Julia Donaldson DVDs on, such as The Gruffalo, and I fall asleep within minutes!
5. Nature to me means happiness, and one day I hope that I can live in a little cottage in the woods, far away from the pollution of the big cities! I’ve been gifted with a rather sensitive nose for toxic air, so hear it from me: London has a real problem! Sort it out Khan!
6. Although my first language is Dutch, my brain can only calculate numbers in Kurdish, which is a pain, because I have to convert even the simplest of calculations! Those early years of schooling in Kurdistan really stuck!
7. I have a Paddington Bear cuddly toy that I absolutely cannot sleep without at night.
8. I cannot cook, but my breakfast eggs are divinie.
9. The proudest achievement of my life is my charity, Green Kids (www.greenkids.org.uk). We provide support to children in poverty-stricken and war-torn areas, more recently focusing on refugee children. I am proud to say that Green Kids has donated over 200,000 books to underprivileged schools, established two mini libraries at refugee camps, and has collected significant money and other aid for refugees, across war-torn Iraqi Kurdistan.
10. When I get an idea for a new song or just a cool melody, no matter where I am, I have to record it on my phone… I did just that recently whilst sitting in between two sleeping passengers on a plane! I think I helped them fall into a deeper sleep…
Dashni’s debut single ‘Love Wins’ is available now to download and stream.