Today (March 31), music streaming service Deezer have revealed the top 10 most addictive tracks across the globe in 2016 to-date, finding that both Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez are some of the most popular artists on their service.
Gomez pips Bieber to the top spot with hit track 'Hands To Myself' generating more repeat listens this year so far than both Bieber's 'Sorry' and 'Love Yourself'.
In fact, Gomez's track enjoys 59% more repeat streams in a month per user, with Bieber's coming in at 21% and 43% respectively for 'Sorry' and 'Love Yourself'.
Senior Lecturer in Music at the University of Surrey, Dr Christopher Wiley comments: "Both Selena Gomez's 'Hands To Myself' and Justin Bieber's 'Love Yourself' are mid-tempo pop songs but Selena's track offers a more complex musical texture, featuring percussion and synthesizer, which gives consumers more to engage with on repeat listenings."
Both however lose out to Nicky Jam whose track 'Hasta el Amanecer' generated more repeat listens than any other song in the world so far, with fans coming back for 72% more repeat listens on average over the course of a month.
Dr. Wiley adds: "When considering what makes a song 'addictive', an upbeat tempo usually helps, and a rhythmic track with a clearly defined beat is important to enable the listener to feel the music internally or to dance along.
"Nicky Jam's 'Hasta el Amanecer' is an upbeat song in which the Caribbean influence is strongly reflected in the catchy, syncopated rhythm of its reggae-inspired chord structure."
The top 20 most-binged tracks across the globe were found to be the following:
- Nicky Jam - 'Hasta el Amanecer' - 72%
- Alan Walker - 'Faded' - 65%
- Selena Gomez - 'Hands To Myself' - 59%
- Major Lazer - 'Light It Up' - 56%
- EFF - 'Stimme' - 54%
- Mike Posner - 'I Took A Pill In Ibiza' - 54%
- Lukas Graham - '7 Years' - 52%
- Sia - 'Cheap Thrills' - 50%
- Shawn Mendes - 'Stitches' - 50%
- Jason Derulo - 'Get Ugly' - 48%
- G-Eazy - 'Me, Myself & I' - 47%
- Yandel - 'Encantadora' - 46%
- Justin Bieber - 'Love Yourself' - 43%
- Dawin - 'Dessert' - 43%
- Shawn Mendes - 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' - 41%
- Snakehips - 'All My Friends' - 39%
- Jonas Blue - 'Fast Car' - 39%
- Kid Ink - 'Promise' - 36%
- MNEK - 'Never Forget You' - 36%
- Stormzy - 'Shut Up' - 33%