Held By Horses are set to return next month with their brand new EP In History after enjoying success on the road and performing with the likes of Mallory Knox and Mystery Jets.
I caught up with the band to chat about the new EP and what lies ahead for them for the rest of the year.
- You are about to release your new EP In History so what can we expect from the record this time around?
We feel we have matured a lot since the last release, and hopefully this comes across in the new songs.
Expect to hear, more upbeat tracks, catchier melodies and even a guest collaboration from Never Means Maybe's singer Renz Byrne. We have been sitting on this EP for months now and we are really stoked for everyone to hear it.
- And what do you bring to the EP that is perhaps different in terms of sound compared to previous records?
Our previous tracks were heavier than the new ones and we have produced a sound now which enraptures all the different bands that we love and listen to and have made our own sound.
This EP is all in all very different to the previous records but you still know it is us.
- I know the release is still a few weeks away but how has the early response been to the new tracks? Have you been playing them live and if so how have they gone down with fans?
We released the EP for a week only for fans to listen to as obviously we recorded back in February and knowing the wait for release was going to be quite a few months, we didn't want people getting bored, so we gave them a little taster of what to expect and the response was great.
It had a lot of listens and lots of people loved it. We have played the tracks live, apart from one and the response has been awesome.
- The EP is produced by Dan Lancaster so how did that collaboration come about and what were you looking for in your producer this time around?
When we worked with the previous producer we felt we weren't getting what we needed out of the recordings and so looked for someone who we knew would do exactly that and Dan was the man.
We contacted him and he was able to give us a professional, big sounding EP which is what we wanted.
- How did you find working with Dan and what did his experience bring to the record?
Having worked with a lot bands which we look up to, for example, Lower Than Atlantis, Don Broco and Mallory Knox, we knew he knew what he was doing and could produce some amazing records.
We had a great time in the studio and really worked to make sure the tracks were what they needed to be. Getting to record with such a talented guy in the same studio as some really big bands was fantastic, and we would definitely go back to him for our next release.
- I chat to bands and artists all of the time and some aren't a fan of being in the studio so how much is it an experience that you enjoy?
We love being in the studio. Just being able to hear the progress from start to finish and working on music we love to make is a great experience.
- So how does the songwriting process work within the band - is there one main writer or is it very much a collaborative effort?
It usually starts with Kyle coming up with the guitar track and both Harriet and Kyle working on getting that down with some lyrics, and then we all work together to develop it. It's quite a collaborative process but with Kyle being the main music writing man.
- And how have you seen yourselves develop as musicians and artists from the first release to In History?
As we said, we have all grown up and this definitely shows in our writing and playing. Know we have achieved some attention and a small fan base, it has pushed us all to work harder and focus on getting our music heard to more and more people.
- So how did the band form?
Kyle, Harriet and Will started the band at the beginning of 2011, and while starting to work on some tracks, we found Scott and Charlie and got together and started making music, recording and playing shows.
- You have an ever growing fanbase so for any of the fans reading this interview do you have a message for them?
Make sure you grab yourself an EP when it is released and get a tshirt too. And thank you so much for all your support!
- Finally what is next for you? What are the tour plans for the rest of the year?
We unfortunately don't have a tour planned but are booking up shows all over the UK. We are recording a music video soon too and just getting things sorted to get ourselves out there.
Held By Horses - In History EP is released 17th September
FemaleFirst Helen Earnshaw