With recent articles written on emergency departments suggesting that there are as many as 600,000 face waits in 24 hours of A and E, numbers of patients waiting on trolleys tripling and the figures show that the NHS could be on the brink of winter crisis, it’s no surprise that there is greater focus on the efficiency and communication provided in A and E departments.
Today those trusts that were deemed ‘worse than expected’ for at least 20% of all questions, seven or more, were revealed.
Two trusts in particular have been named as distinctly worse than others for at least two in every three survey questions are Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Medway NHS Foundation Trust.
Tameside fell down on questions that focused on how their staff spoke to patients and the information that they provided their patient with as well as the information passed on upon the patient’s discharge.
Medway NHS Foundation Trust lacked in areas such as patient waiting times and how staff interacted with their patients.
The rest we are follows.
1. Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
2. Medway NHS Foundation Trust
3. Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
4. North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
5. Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
6. Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
7. Milton Keynes Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
8. Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals NHS Trust
9. Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
10. University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
The report says that "all trusts listed in this table must review their performance as a matter of urgency to ensure that they deliver good quality A&E services across the areas included in this survey". (MK Web)
There were 12 trusts that scored more highly than expected for 20% of more of all scored questions, from a total of 35 scored questions.
Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust came out on top as they demonstrated far better communication with their patients and the information relayed to them at discharge.
1. Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
2. Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
3. Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
4. Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
5. Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
6. South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
7. Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
8.Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
9. Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
10. South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust
11. Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
12. Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
Tagged in hospital