- How can the way you dress alter the way you feel about yourself?
The way you dress can have a huge impact on the way you feel. A great pair of jeans can make you feel a stone lighter and a gorgeous dress can make you look a million dollars, even when you don’t feel it on the inside. The clothes we wear help us paint the canvas of the life we’d like to lead whilst disguising the parts of our body we’d rather forget about. The right clothes will pick you up when you’re feeling low and help you shine when you’re on top of the world. Finding your own style identity is the best investment you’ll ever make.
- When you feel good about the way you look how does this translate to your partner?
When you feel good about yourself, you instantly appear more confident, sexy and vibrant. This will affect how you interact with others and in particular to your partner. When we feel sexier we are willing to inject more fun and excitement into our relationships. Your partner will notice your transformation and will really benefit from a brighter more confident you.
- How important is it to still make an effort with your image when you are not leaving the house and only your partner will see you?
I really believe that your outfit can directly affect how you feel about yourself and how you feel about the day. Just because you’re staying in all day and only your partner will see you, is no excuse to throw on a hoody and slouchy trackie bottoms. You can still make an effort and be comfortable in a new bright coloured top and slim-fitted jeans for a relaxed, day time look. By making an effort you will instantly feel more energised and you don’t have to worry about one of your friends making an impromptu visit and catching you in trackies and pony-tail.
- How important is dressing to impress in the bedroom to a relationship?
Very important! But always remember that looking sexy and attractive in bed doesn’t have to be all about clothes and lingerie. It’s about self-confidence and really feeling attractive in your own skin. Therefore, don’t wear something that will make you feel too self-conscious and silly. If you feel that you have a bit of a tummy, choose a gorgeous silky baby-doll which will flatter your cleavage and disguise your tummy. Don’t feel that you have to be too adventurous; men are more impressed with a self-confident woman than a sexy outfit.
- What are the make-up must haves as a minimum on a day to day basis?
Highlighter is fantastic for instantly perking up dull, tired or dry skin. Applying a little along the cheekbones, forehead, bridge of the nose and chin can brighten and transform for your complexion even if you have no foundation or concealer on. Or mix a few drops with your day moisturiser to give your skin a radiant glow. Tinted lip balm is great for giving your pout a just-bitten look, while still keeping your lips soft and hydrated. I love Laura Mercier’s Hydratint for the lips, which has an SPF 15 to protect and works brilliantly as a cheek tint too as it’s not too sticky.
- What are the wardrobe must haves for couples?
My husband and I love to travel and there is nothing like coming in from a long, busy day sightseeing, having a long soak in the bath and then curling up in a complementary plush dressing gown. We both developed such a fondness for them that we now have a ‘his and her’ set of aubergine dressing gowns at home (white is nice, but best left in the hotel where they can be washed everyday).
- How important is it for couples to engage in beauty rituals together e.g. facials?
Beauty treatments for couples are a chance to reconnect with one another, de-stress and rejuvenate all in the luxury of a spa or beauty salon. Many men may feel reluctant to schedule a spa treatment, however, if you book yourselves in for a couple’s massage they are more likely to relax and enjoy themselves. It also means you’ll both feel gorgeous and relaxed afterwards and are more likely to enjoy some 1:1 time together.
- What one thing in terms of image can the average woman do to impress her man?
Really depends on your man; some men would be impressed to see you all glammed up others would be happy with a flash of lipstick applied before opening the door. Some would be impressed with a home cooked meal on the table. So the best advice I can give you is to tune in to your man and subtly find out what you could do to blow him away. The personal it is, the more impressive it will be.
- Having watched 10 Years Younger, often, the relationship appears to improve with the partner as the transformation progresses, what comments would you make on this?
I loved working on 10 Years Younger and witnessing how someone’s confidence could change following the makeover and how it had a direct effect on their relationship. When someone has a low sense of self-esteem this can impact negatively on a relationship because feeling unworthy can lead to issues with jealousy, depression or stress. People find themselves in a vicious circle, feeling unattractive and so choosing to wear frumpy, unflattering clothes which make them appear less attractive and less well-presented. By breaking that cycle and transforming the way you look will not only improve the way you feel but will also help your partner see you in a new light and reignite his feeling for you too. Self confidence is sexy, so do what you need to do to feel better about yourself and you’ll find your relationship will improve too.
- If a woman is feeling insecure about her self image and how this affects her relationship, what is the one piece of advice you would give her?
I always discourage people who put themselves down and try to get them to acknowledge their positive qualities and their successes. It is important to enjoy yourself, be bright and positive as you will instantly appear more attractive to yourself and others. If you’re not happy with the way you look, do something about it. Book a styling session and get yourself a new wardrobe to help put the spring book a salon appointment for a new hairstyle or colour. A small change can make a big difference to how you feel about yourself and break the cycle of feeling insecure too.
- What is your daily routine to maintain looking gorgeous?
- I always make sure I eat and drink properly as feeding your skin from the inside will give your complexion a wonderful boost. Try and pack in as many ‘superfoods’ as possible throughout your day - just sprinkling a handful of dark skinned fruit such as blueberries on your cereal will make a real difference.
- I always remove my make up at night to keep my pores clean and encourage a youthful glow in the morning – did you know that your skin ages eight days for every night that you don’t remover your makeup?
- I use a serum everyday which is great for boosting my complexion. Choose a serum rich in Coenzyme Q10, an ingredient that’s naturally found in our cells to provide energy for healthy cell growth. Try Age Proof CoQ10 Booster Serum by Trilogy which attacks fine lines as well as protecting from harmful free-radicals.
- I never overload my skin with too much make up as this can look make your skin appear more aged. If you’ve been adopting a good skincare regime your skin should be glowing with natural health which you won’t want to disguise. Keep the overall look fresh and natural with a light-reflecting foundation and apply a gentle blush over the cheeks using pale peach or apricot tones.
- I inject a bit of colour into my day with the right shade of lipstick. Not only does it add a touch of glamour, it also helps my teeth appear whiter.
- I drink plenty of water every day which keeps my skin looking radiant and supple. I also recommend that you cut down on salty foods, as too much sodium will cause the skin under your eyes to look puffy.
- I always try to wear a bright colour near my face as it really lifts my complexion and means I don’t need to wear much make-up.
- Always remember no matter how today may feel, tomorrow will be better!
By Nicky Hambleton-Jones, The Make-Over Queen