Bruno Ribeiro praises Port Vale character after beating Gillingham

Bruno Ribeiro praises Port Vale character after beating Gillingham

Port Vale manager Bruno Ribeiro hailed his side's second-half performance as they came from behind to beat Gillingham 2-1 at Vale Park.

Goals from defender Remie Streete and top scorer Alex Jones gave Vale all three points after Josh Wright had earlier given the Gills the lead.

Ribeiro praised the character of his players in securing the result which maintained the Valiants' 100 per cent home record.

He said: "I'm happy because our play was fantastic in the second half. We showed good determination and good attitude.

"I spoke with the players at half-time and told them to go out and win the game. I said if we play high-tempo and pressure them and we can win this game.

"We played as a team. Sometimes in the first half, when someone was running with the ball, it wasn't our pass and move play.

"I wanted to start the game the way we did the second half but sometimes it's difficult and we don't start well but in the second half the character of the players is fantastic.

"We made good movements and could have scored three or four goals. We are still winning at home which is fantastic for us.

"To keep this position in the top six is important. We going into every game wanting to win, we need to change away from home.

"At home we win but away we need to start playing the same."

Gills boss Justin Edinburgh felt a number of decisions went against his side and claimed referee Carl Boyeson was 'intimidated' by the 4,719-strong home support.

He said: "We deserved better from the game. For a good period of the game I thought we looked very good and worthy of the lead.

"But it is something we've got to address. We've found we can come from behind to win games but we're not seeing games out so real frustration and a huge disappointment.

"We had a similar situation here last year when the referee was flashing a lot of cards and as small as the crowd was, he seemed to be intimidated.

"We had to take it out of the referee's hands because I felt he was succumbing to making a few bad decisions.

"I certainly felt, for as good as we were first half we just lost our way a bit as the game faded. But the free-kick which led to the second goal wasn't legitimate.

"It should be a job we're capable of doing. We all have to do our jobs and I thought a lot of poor decisions were made against us.

"I think we became a little bit hopeful in our passing rather than the conviction we had in the first half and that gave them the ascendancy."