With many of us having broken our New Year’s resolutions by now and the trainers firmly back in the cupboard for another year, perhaps a far more relaxing way to start the year is with a spa break.
And it seems that some European travellers agree as just under a quarter are planning to take a rejuvenation trip early 2013 and a third hope to visit a spa over the course of this year, according to a TripAdvisor survey.
TripAdvisor spokesperson, Emma Shaw, said: “With January over don’t beat yourself up if you’ve already broken your New Year’s resolution.
“Instead of painful gym sessions, embrace the new you with a spa trip, where you can do as much – or as little – as you wish.”
For those looking to book themselves a spa break, TripAdvisor can reveal the top 10 hotel spas in Europe according to TripAdvisor traveller ratings, with a London hotel proudly taking the number one spot.
Top 10 European Hotel Spas
1. Corinthia Hotel London - London, UKLocated a few minutes from 10 Downing Street, ESPA Life at Corinthia London offers fitness and nutrition as well as luxury spa treatments from some of the world’s top professionals. Max Tomlinson offers complimentary health, the gym is managed by personal trainer to the athletic elite, Stephen Price and hairdresser to the A-list, Daniel Galvin takes care of hair. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The spa is probably the best I've been to in London.”
2. Seafield Golf & Spa Hotel - Gorey, IrelandLess than an hour drive from Dublin, this hotel is nestled among 160 acres of wooded parklands with an 18-hole championship golf course. Oceo Spa at Seafield houses 14 treatment rooms including a couples suite. Also on offer is a thermal suite, hammam suite, rasul chamber, aromatherapy suites, monsoon showers, ice grotto, relaxation area, outdoor vitality pool and a 16 metre hydrotherapy pool. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “What a fantastic hotel and spa. The spa was a wonderful experience, well laid out, spacious rooms and the outdoor hot tub was terrific on a December night!!”
3. Grand Hotel Kronenhof - Pontresina, SwitzerlandThe heritage protected Grand Hotel Kronenhof is located in the centre of Pontresina, at 1,800m above sea level and just 6 miles from St. Moritz. The Kronenhof Spa offers visitors stunning views of the valley, pine forests and Roseg and Bernina glaciers. Facilities include a pool with counter current system and underwater music, a paddling pool, steam room, relaxation floating grotto and relaxation area with roaring fire. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “A first-class spa and wellness facility in a historic, quaint town... a dream.”
4. Rockliffe Hall - Hurworth-on-Tees, UKNestled within 375 acres on the banks of the River Tees, Rockcliffe Hall is a golf and spa resort set on a restored 18th century estate. The spa at Rockliffe is 50,000 square feet and offers many treatments as well as a 20-metre pool where spa butlers offer refreshments of champagne and freshly squeezed juices. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Words fail me to express just how sumptuous this spa is.”
5. Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden - Puerto de la Cruz, SpainLocated on the Orotava Valley coastline, Hotel Botanico is situated at the foot of Tenerife´s Mount Teide. The Oriental Spa Garden at Hotel Botanico offers treatments that are inspired by Asian hospitality and facilities include a Japanese sauna and oriental laconium. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The spa was spectacular and included everything I could have thought of.”
6. Natur und Wellnesshotel Hoeflehner - Haus, AustriaThis hotel offers panoramic views of the Dachstein Mountains and the spa facilities include an indoor and outdoor pool, a 70 year old Stadl sauna made from oak wood, Turkish bath and infrared sauna. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “It's an absolutely stunning property with unbeatable views. The hotel grounds and spa are great for guests of all ages.”
7. Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisboa – Lisbon, Portugal
Located in the heart of the city, the Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon provides a bird’s-eye view of the city's historic sites. In the spa, windows over-look a garden and park and the spa can even be brought to you with treatments in your own room. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Fabulous hotel, magnificent gym, spa, breakfast buffet, rooms, service – an all-round great stay.”
8. Elite Suites by Amathus Beach - Ixia, GreeceJust four kilometres from the Old Town, the Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes offers rooms, private bungalows and elite suites. The 1,400 square foot spa draws on practices from around the world and provides a hammam, steam bath, sauna, jacuzzi and 14 treatment rooms. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “The Elite Suites at Amathus Beach are exactly that. The staff are ever attentive, the spa is marvellous and the suites themselves are a pleasure to call home for 10 days.”
9. Muckross Park Hotel & Cloisters Spa - Killarney, IrelandOne of the oldest hotels in Killarney, it opened its doors as The Herbert Arms in 1795 and was part of the original Muckross House Estate. The spa has a monastic theme and facilities include an outdoor hot tub, a salt grotto, iced fountain and herbal sauna. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “Our room was outstanding and the Spa is something else.”
10. Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf - Headlam, UKThis family owned and run 17th century country mansion stands in gardens surrounded by its own farmland and golf course. The spa includes a 14m deck level pool and outdoor hot spa, a drench shower, sauna and steam room with mood lighting for the ultimate relaxation. As one TripAdvisor traveller commented, “We had a suite over the spa - just perfect!!! The evening meal was magnificent, service great! Such a wonderful relaxing place.”
For more information, visit www.tripadvisor.co.uk