ITV may commission another series of 'Benidorm'.
The popular comedy was thought to have come to an end for good last night (02.05.18) after the show's creator Derren Litten implied that he was no longer writing anymore episodes for the hit programme following rumours that the broadcaster had pulled the plug on it, but it looks like there's still a possibility it'll return to screens in 2019.
A spokesperson for ITV told the Mirror Online after fans complained on social media: "No decision has been made regarding any further series of 'Benidorm'."
Fans took to their social networking sites earlier this week to vent their anger after Derren - who has written the past 10 series of the show - hinted that it was over.
He wrote: "Crazy to think Wednesday will be the last episode of Benidorm! I created the series over 11 years ago, wrote it, guest starred in it and ended up directing it. It's difficult to think what else there is to do! Thank you for watching! #MuchasGracias (sic)"
His cryptic message came just weeks after it was claimed that ITV had decided to axe the programme and pour the money into a new project after a decline in ratings.
A source said at the time: "'Benidorm' has been a huge success for ITV for a decade, but bosses feel it's run its course. The ratings have started to drop off and a number of the fan favourites have left, so it just feels as though the time is right to let it go out while it's still on a high. It has been ITV's longest running comedy, which is a real achievement."
However, if ITV do commission another instalment, Derren will no doubt jump at the chance as he previously said he had hoped 'Benidorm' would go on for another decade.
He said: "When I wrote the first script of 'Benidorm' I had no idea it would change my life so dramatically over the next 10 years. I am so grateful to our fans and to ITV for giving 'Benidorm' the best possible home we could hope for. Here's to the next 10 years!"