Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there! Today we're taking a look at some of the best mums on television and their incredible quotes which have had us smiling, laughing, crying and cheering at our television screens throughout the years.
1) Gemma Teller Morrow (Sons of Anarchy - Available on Prime Video)
Mother to Jax, she'll go to extreme lengths to protect her son and the club, Sons of Anarchy. Unafraid to get her hands dirty, she's probably not the best person to look up to (like some other names on our list!), but certainly knows how to leave a big impression.
- "Vulnerability is a liability. There's no place for it in this life."
- "Trust me hun, Moms know what's best for their sons."
- "I flew my broomstick into a brick wall."
- "Only men need to be loved, sweetheart."
2) Lynette Scavo (Desperate Housewives)
She's truly a mother to be admired! Show creator Marc Cherry based Lynette's family on his childhood life and, when viewers first meet her she's close to breaking point, stuck at home with four kids, often alone because her husband is out on business. She was a woman who a lot of people could relate to and her dealings with some major issues and health complications really gave the show some of its best storylines.
- "Renee comes off a little stuck-up when you first meet her. Which is a real time-saver."
- "Not now, honey, Mommy's threatening Daddy."
- "I have four kids under the age of six. I absolutely have anger management issues."
- [responding to 'you know what a midlife crisis is?'] "I'm married to a 45-year-old man who has a red convertible. Yeah, I think I know."
3) Lois Griffin (Family Guy - ITV 2)
Lois deserves a medal for putting up with some of her family's antics but to be fair to the rest of them, she has gotten up to some questionable things herself in her time!
- "Remember, if you screw this up, Mommy's going to kill all of your toys."
- "The secret to happiness is burying all your true feelings and living a life of bland compromise."
- "Success is being true to yourself."
- "Can't you just go out there and pretend to have a good time?"
4) Cersei Lannister (Game of Thrones - Sky Atlantic/NOW TV)
OK, so Cersei is probably a terrible mother when it all boils down to it, but her heart is always in the right place when it comes to her children. They're the people she'd do anything to protect and she's fiercely loyal to them, so long as she can have a hand in running the Kingdom alongside them...
- "Love is a weakness. Love no one but your children."
- "When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
- "I will burn their cities to the ground if they touch her."
- "An unhappy wife is a wine merchant's best friend."
Peggy Mitchell (EastEnders - BBC One)
Peggy's returning for her final ever EastEnders scenes later this year and we couldn't leave her off our list of television's best mothers! She's a family woman and awesome matriarch, one of the first names that springs to mind when you think of the BBC soap and all about her two boys, Phil and Grant.
- "Get outta my pub!"
- "Let it burn!"
- "Wait until my Grant hears about this!"
- "You're a MITCHELL!"
Tagged in Mother's Day