Alicia Silverstone turns 40 today so we have found some facts about her that make her an excellent role model for both existing and aspiring vegans and vegetarians.
- Silverstone became vegan in 1998 after she attended an animals rights meeting. She said; "I realized that I was the problem … I was an animal lover who was eating animals."
- She was voted the 'Sexiest Female Vegetarian' by PETA in 2004.
- In 2007, Silverstone appeared nude in an advertisement and a 30 second commercial for PETA to promote vegetarianism.
- She has set up a sanctuary for rescued pets in Los Angeles.
- During the trial of Russian band 'Pussy Riot' in 2012, she wrote a letter to Vladimir Putin asking for vegan meals to be made available to Russian prisoners.
- Silverstone has released two books- 'The Kind Diet' on vegan nutrition, which topped The New York Times Best Seller List, and the follow up 'The Kind Mama', both of which are associated with her website- 'The Kind Life'. She plans to write a third- ‘The Kind Diet Cookbook’.
- She helped uncover the cruely of down in the following video with PETA.
- She lives with her husband, Christopher Jarecki and son Bear Blu, in an eco-friendly Los Angeles house with solar panels and an organic vegetable garden.
- The couple have four rescue dogs- one of which is a bulldog named 'The Pig'.
- Both her and her husband are advocates for animal rights. As well as promoting animal rights, Silverstone is also an environmental activist.
Source: Wikipedia and IMDB.