Cooking time: 4-5 hours (high) or 5-6 hours (low)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm (prepared weight)
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1.2l chicken stock
- 300g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 100g fresh spinach
To serve – fresh spinach leaves, coriander, warm naan bread, lemon zest
- Heat a suitable sized frying pan or a Crock-Pot sauté pot over a medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onions until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the spices and continue to sauté over a low heat for a further few minutes. Spoon the mixture into the removable stoneware bowl if using a pan.
- Add the butternut squash, chopped tomatoes, stock and lentils. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5-6 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the chick peas and adjust the seasoning.
- Finish by stirring in the fresh spinach leaves and the lemon zest, garnish with the coriander and serve with warm naan bread.