With the summer months in full swing, this simple, frozen treat is the perfect way to cool down during those sunny afternoons. Kids and adults alike will love these unusual ice lollies.
Containing 100% fresh ground coffee, coffee bags are a convenient way to add delicious, fresh coffee to recipes. Easy to prepare and bursting with flavour, these lollies are ideal for those who are looking for something sweet and light.
COFFEE AND COCONUT ICE LOLLIES
Serves: 4 lollies
Preparation time: Approx 15 minutes
Freezing time: At least 4 hours
Nutritional: Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
1 Lyons Coffee Bag No3
100ml boiling water
3-4 tsp demerara sugar
50ml cold water
150ml coconut milk from a tin (full fat)
2 tsp desiccated coconut
Lolly mould / small freezer proof container
1) Ensure you have space in your freezer for the lolly mould to sit level.
2) Put the Lyons Coffee Bag into a small heatproof bowl. Boil the kettle and measure 100ml boiling water into a jug then pour over the coffee bag. Add the sugar and then stir with a teaspoon until the sugar has dissolved.
3) Leave to brew for four minutes whilst squashing the bag and stirring every now and then. Squeeze the bag and discard it when you have a good strong brew.
4) If the coconut milk has separated when opening the tin, stir the milk with a fork until it is evenly white and creamy – don’t worry if there are a few lumps. Measure 150ml of the milk into your measuring jug then pour in the lukewarm coffee and stir well. Add 50ml cold water to make the total amount of liquid 300ml then cover the jug and place in the fridge until completely cold.
5) Sprinkle a little desiccated coconut into the bottom of each of the compartments of the lolly mould, then pour over the mixture, leaving half a centimetre at the top for expansion.
6) Carefully transfer to the freezer and allow to freeze for one hour. Once the lollies are half frozen you can insert the lolly sticks. It will take a few hours to completely freeze the lollies.
7) When you’re ready to eat them, dip the mould into a bowl of hot water for 30 seconds until the lollies can be wiggled out of their containers but make sure the water doesn’t tip onto the lollies!
Sit back, relax in the sun and enjoy!