5 medium-sized organic parsnips
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp rapeseed oil
2 black peppercorns, crushed
1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 small apple, peeled and finely diced
750ml chicken or vegetable stock
100ml whole milk
50ml pouring cream
Preheat the oven to 220°C, Gas mark 7.
- Peel the parsnips. Cut into rounds - larger ones for the skinny end of the parsnip and thinner ones as you work your way to the top.
- Tumble them into a roasting dish and top with 1 tbsp rapeseed oil and the crushed peppercorns.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until tender but not browned.
- Score the chestnuts with a little cross. Place in a baking dish and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Shell the roasted chestnuts, cover with a cloth to keep them warm and moist, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp rapeseed oil in a pan then sauté the onion, garlic and apple until tender but not browned. Pour over the stock then add the parsnips and their juices, and the shelled chestnuts. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the milk and cream together.
- Take the pan off the heat and blend it with a hand blender, slowly adding in the milk/cream until the mixture is a pureé. For a really silky-smooth texture, pass the soup through a fine-mesh sieve.
For more recipes and reasons to go organic, please visit https://www.facebook.com/organicuk/