Almonds and almond drinks have become increasingly popular over the last few years. Research by Blue Diamond Almonds has shown that following a 360% rise in veganism in the UK over the past decade, dairy will continue to fall out of fashion in 2018, with a further one in five (19%) UK adults planning to try a dairy free or vegan diet over the next twelve months.
If you’re one of the many people wanting to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet, but unsure whether to take the leap, then help is at hand… We’ve partnered with Blue Diamond Almonds, to pull together a list of the top ten facts and stats on both almonds and almonds drinks, including the reasons why you should consider incorporating these into your diet:
- Almond drinks have a fraction of the calories of traditional cow’s milk, so are a great option for those watching their weight. Many brands are free of sugar, and have less than half the calories of skimmed cow’s milk and half the calories of unsweetened soya.
- Nuts are a great source of energy and protein, so a perfect option for keeping hunger at bay between meals, but almonds are the best of the bunch, containing half the fat of peanuts and cashews.
- The amount of protein contained in a single handful of almonds is nearly as much as you get from a hard-boiled egg, and almonds are the only protein source that's also an excellent source of vitamin E.
- A handful of almonds supplies around 28% of the daily magnesium recommended for a woman, and around a quarter of the recommendation for a man, which helps improve the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients around the body.
- What’s more, each pack of almonds, providing you with a significant source of protein, fibre, calcium and vitamin E.
- Almonds are a natural choice for the weight conscious. The combination of protein, fibre and monounsaturated fat found in almonds has been shown to help people feel fuller, which tends to lower food consumption throughout the day.
- A 200ml glass of Almond Breeze Nutri+ Protein contains 5.8g of protein – that’s the equivalent of one medium egg or 30g of pumpkin seeds.
- What’s more, a 200ml glass of Almond Breeze Nutri+ Fibre contains 6.9g of fibre – the equivalent of eating 2 &12; bananas!
- Almonds contain both soluble and insoluble fibre. Insoluble fibre is good for digestive health by increasing the bulk and transit times of stools and helping to protect the health of the large bowel
- Almond milk can be used in cereal, tea, coffee, smoothies, lasagne, toad in the hole, risotto…the list is never ending!
In light of the continued growth of the dairy free movement, Blue Diamond Almonds has launched an innovative new range of almond drinks, all of which contain added nutrients to supplement a healthy diet.
The Almond Breeze Nutri + range, which includes Nutri+ Protein, Nutri+ Fibre and Nutri+ Calcium, are a first to market product in the UK, which provide consumers with all the regular benefits of an almond drink, but with added calcium, protein and fibre. They’re available at Waitrose for a RRP £2.40.
 Ipsos MORI research commissioned by Vegan Society