(serves 4-6 people):
2 aubergine (sliced into 6 rounds) A pinch of salt
For Dengaku Miso
5 tbsp Yutaka Organic Miso Paste
2 tbsp Yutaka Cooking Sake
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Yutaka Mirin
2 tbsp water (if needed)
For the garnish
2 tbsp Yutaka White Roasted Sesame Seeds
10g fresh coriander
Directions:1. To make the dengaku miso, combine Yutaka Organic Miso, Yutaka Cooking Sake, brown sugar, Yutaka Mirin in a small saucepan, then simmer on a low heat for 2 mins, mixing with a spatula until it becomes a shiny paste. Add water to balance the saltiness.
2. Peel the aubergine in a striped pattern then cut into 3cm thick round slices.
3. Cut a cross on both sides of each slice of aubergine. This "hidden cut" helps to cook the aubergine quickly.
4. Soak the aubergine in salted water for 10 mins to remove any bitter taste.
5. Drain the water and wipe the aubergine with a paper towel.
6. Heat at least 5cm of oil in a deep frying pan, add aubergine slices then deep fry until cooked.
7. Remove aubergine from the pan and pat with a paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Place the aubergine on a serving plate, then spread the dengaku miso on top of each slice.
9. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and coriander.
The recipe is supplied by Atsuko's Kitchen