- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or almond oil)
- 1/2 cup soft Del Monte® avocado, well mashed, about 1 medium Del Monte® avocado
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch rounds. Set aside.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients except the sugar. Set that aside too.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl, including the super mashed Del Monte® avocado. Add sugar into the wet mix and stir.
- Mix the wet with the dry all at once, and beat with a whisk (by hand) until smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased cake tins. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely before frosting with Del Monte® avocado buttercream.
- For Del Monte® Avocado Buttercream Frosting, peel and pit the soft avocados. It's important to use the ripest avocados you can get your hands on. If the avocados have brown spots in the meat, avoid those spots when you scoop the meat into the bowl.
- Place the Del Monte® avocado meat into the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment. Add lemon juice and whisk the Del Monte® avocado on medium speed, until slightly lightened in color and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat. Add vanilla extract until combined. If not using right away, store in the refrigerator. Don't worry. It won't turn brown!
For more recipes using Del Monte products, please visit http://delmonteeurope.com/recipes.htm