This rich and indulgent brownie recipe by Izy Hossack, author of Top with Cinnamon and new book The Savvy Cook is the perfect vegan chocolate treat that can be made in minutes. Even better, it only uses one dish! This baked brownie is the perfect size for one, or make enough to share by doubling, tripling or quadrupling the recipes and baking in individual dishes. Top with berries, ice cream, cream or simply dig in!
This recipe is suitable for vegans and vegetarians and can also be made gluten free, see adaptions below
- 1 tsp coconut oil or other neutral oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp whole wheat flour (or all purpose, or white whole wheat)
- 1 tbsp Divine cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Divine 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Put the first 2 ingredients into a ramekin/any small oven proof dish. Put onto a cookie sheet and then into an oven which is preheating to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), for 1 minute (just so the coconut oil melts).
- Stir in the baking powder and salt, then the flour and cocoa (it's easier if your ramekin/dish has high edges. If it's too hard to mix, just pour the contents into a small bowl, mix and smooth into the ramekin/dish).
- Smooth the dough in the dish and scatter over the chocolate chips, pressing them in slightly. Bake for 5-6 minutes, until it has risen slightly, and is still pretty soft in the centre (you really don't want to over-bake it; under-baked is way better than over-baked in this case). Eat while still warm.
For a gluten free version: – replace the coconut oil with 2 tsp of almond butter (or another nut butter) – replace the flour with 1 tbsp of ground almonds
About Izy Hossack:
Izy Hossack is a 21 year old Londoner studying Food Science & Nutrition at the University of Leeds. She grew up making her Italian-American mum’s hand-written, family recipes and now experiments making a multitude of culinary delights – mostly sweet – ranging from the indulgent to the wholesome and hearty. In September 2014 she published her first cookbook, Top With Cinnamon, also the name of her blog, and in her second cookbook Savvy Cook will be published in June 2017. A few of her favourite ingredients are bittersweet chocolate, Maldon salt, pecans and maple syrup.
This recipe is a Divine chocolate and Izy Hossack collaboration.