This umami-packed quesadilla is perfect for sharing and is inspired by the spicy, savoury flavours of kimchi.
For the paste
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 shallots, peeled
1/2 tsp chilli powder
tbsp maple syrup
tsp soy sauce
tsp rice vinegar
tbsp rapeseed oil
1/4 white cabbage, sliced
1/2 white onion, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
100g vegan cheese
2 Mission deli wraps
for the mayo
tbsp vegan mayonnaise (e.g. Mayola)
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
tsp black sesame seeds
To make the cheats kimchi paste
- Blitz all the ingredients for the paste in a mini chopper or food processor.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the paste and cook it off over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add in the onion, cabbage and spring onion and cook for about five minutes, until the cabbage is cooked and the whole lot is incorporated with the spicy paste. Set aside.
To make the Quesadilla
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat. Place one wrap in the pan and cover with half the vegan cheese.
- Top with the cabbage mix and then cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Place another wrap on top and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Flip the quesadilla onto a plate and then put it back in the pan with the uncooked wrap on the bottom.
- Cook for a further three minutes then slide out of the pan and cut. Mix the mayo ingredients together and serve alongside the quesadilla.
This recipe was created by Rosie Birkett for Mission Deli wraps in support of their #FriendshipUnwrapped Campaign. For the third year running, Mission Deli has pledged to support Breast Cancer Care by donating £50,000 from the sales of their packs to the charity throughout October. Mission Deli has also given their Original wrap packs a stylish pink make-over for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Mission Deli's pink packs are available in supermarkets throughout the UK, Original Wraps RRP £1.70