Audrey Hepburn and Mel Ferrer would have celebrated their wedding anniversary today so we look back over their marriage with some things you might not know about their relationship.
1. Gregory Peck hosted a dinner party and that is where Hepburn first met actor Mel Ferrer.
2. Ferrer said; "We began talking about theatre; she knew all about the La Jolla Playhouse Summer Theatre, where Greg Peck and I had been co-producing plays. She also said she'd seen me three times in the movie Lili. Finally, she said she'd like to do a play with me, and she asked me to send her a likely play if I found one." (Wikipedia)
3. Ferrer allegedly wanted Hepburn to have the title role in his play so he sent her the script for Ondine.
4. She agreed and started rehearsing in January 1954.
5. They married eight months later in Burgenstock and were making preparations to star alongside one another in War and Peace (1955).
6. Hepburn suffered two miscarriages in 1955 and 1959.
7. The second happened when she was filming The Unforgiven (1960) when she broke her back after falling off a horse onto a rock. This resulted in a hospital stay and miscarriage which was reportedly brought on by mental and physical stress.
8. She then took a year off to have a baby and Sean Hepburn Ferrer was born on 17th July 1960.
9. Hepburn had another two miscarriages in 1965 and 1967.
10. After 14 years of being together, they divorced in December 1968.
Source: Wikipedia and IMDB.
Tagged in Audrey Hepburn