Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes would have celebrated their 11th wedding anniversary today so we reflect on their time together as husband and wife with some things you might not know about the couple.
1. Holmes admitted to a magazine that she had a childhood crush on her husband to be-"I think every little girl dreams of her wedding. I used to think I was going to marry Tom Cruise" (IMDB)
2. The pair first began dating in April 2005.
3. By April 27th they had already been given the name 'TomKat' by the press when they made their first public appearance in Rome.
4. The media was allegedly sceptical that the relationship was a publicity stunt, however Cruise was firm in denying this; 'It's amusing at first. It's funny. But then you sit back and realize how sad it is that there are people who can't even imagine feeling like this. But my friends are happy for me. The people who know me are happy. My mom is happy. My family is happy.' (IMDB)
5. Cruise proposed to Holmes on 17th June 2005 on the Eifel Tower in Paris.
6. In May, the actor was unforgettable on The Oprah Winfrey Show, declaring his love for Holmes, by energetically jumping up and down on her couch.
7. Holmes was brought up to be Roman Catholic, however studied scientology not long after they began dating as Cruise is a follower.
8. In October 2005, they told the media that they were expecting their first child and Suri was born in April 2006.
9. Holmes was also the stepmother of Cruise's adopted children Isabella and Connor.
10. The couple were married on the 18th November 2006 in a 15th century Odesalchi Castle in Italy.
11. They wed in a scientology ceremony that was attended by many famous faces including Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, Brooke Sheilds and Chris Henchy, Richard Gere, Victoria and David Beckham, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, John Travolta and Kelly Preston, Jenna Elfman and Bodhi Elfman and Leah Remini.
12. The marriage was made official in Los Angeles the day before.
13. They both wore Armani on their wedding day and went on their honeymoon to the Maldives.
14. On 29th June 2012, Holmes filed for divorce after being together for five and a half years, citing 'personal and private' reasons as the cause.
Source: Wikipedia and IMDB.