A dog had to undergo emergency surgery after swallowing a Nintendo game cartridge.

A dog had to undergo emergency surgery after swallowing a Nintendo game cartridge.

A dog had to undergo emergency surgery after swallowing a Nintendo game cartridge.

Rocco the Staffordshire Bull Terrier was taken to the vets when he began vomiting and couldn't eat and an X-ray showed a rectangular-shaped object in his small intestine that turned out to be a game.

The four-year-old animal was forced to a life-saving procedure and his owner Sean Johnston insisted he was ''shocked'' at the discovery.

He said: ''He wasn't acting himself at all and we were worried he'd eaten a corn on the cob, but we were so shocked when the vet said it was from a video game.

''We don't own a Nintendo or anything like that so we're baffled as to where he got it from.

''He's a rescue dog and we've only had him for about six months so the only thing we can think is that it was from his previous owners - who knows how long it's been in there.''