A woman nearly lost her vision after she mistook nail glue for eye drops.

Pair of eyes

Pair of eyes

Yacedrah Williams went to bed having left her contact lenses in and woke up in the early hours having realised her mistake. However, she grabbed a small bottle of nail glue instead of the eye drops and was horrified when her eyes were sealed firmly shut.

Williams, from Michigan in the US, said: "I was like, 'Oh my goodness'. It dropped in my eye, and I tried to wipe it away. It sealed my eye shut.

"I just started throwing cold water, and I was trying to pull my eyes apart but couldn’t. I was just screaming for him to call 911."

Williams was rushed to hospital where doctors were able to open her eyes and remove her contact lens.

She said: "They said that contact saved my vision. They kept saying you’ll probably lose your lashes, which I did because they had to pull on it and flip the top of my lid."