In any office there’s always a hierarchy of power plays in how to get things done. Corporate veteran, Davide Cervellin, shows us how to play the game in his new book Office of Cards. Here are his top tips when it comes to winning at office politics.
- The corporate environment is like an episode of Game of Thrones – despite all the rules and red-tape it can be unpredictable so make sure you’re prepared for every outcome
- Networking is the key to success – personal connections help you get things done so build a network that can make you uniquely effective in your environment
- Lose the whiners – if you choose to spend time with people who drag you down, they WILL drag you down. Seek people who think and act like you – be a radiator and not a drain
- Play the long game – getting what you want or need from the business world takes planning, time and hard work. Make sure every move you make gets you one step closer to your goal, no matter how long it takes
- Always have a positive attitude and stay cool – it instils calm and inspires loyalty. Anger and frustration lose you good friends, lead you to make mistakes and miss opportunities
- Never argue – there is absolutely nothing to gain from making an enemy for the sake of winning an argument because that enemy could become a problem
- Make no enemies – enemies kill ideas and careers. Even if you think that person is powerless you don’t want them as an enemy, to survive and thrive you need to make sure that you #makenoenemies
- Make people feel valued and important – they’re far more likely to support you and respond to your suggestions
- Learn how to listen to people – your attention should be on what they’re saying when they’re speaking, not your response. By listening to people and giving them a chance to speak you’re gathering information you can use to tailor your idea to tie in with what they’ve got in mind
- Be prepared – when you need something from someone make it as easy as possible for them to give it to you by doing the research and thinking needed before you ask anything
Davide Cervellin was nominated as one of the Top 100 Influential People in Data Driven Businesses in 2018. He now works for travel website Booking.com.
For regular updates and ongoing advice from Davide Cervellin, visit: www.officeofcards.com
Office of Cards: A Practical Guide to Success and Happiness in Large Organisations (and Life) by Davide Cervellin is available to preorder at Amazon.co.uk from £9.59.
Tagged in author interview