A new study has found that almost three quarters of Britons believe celebrities like the Kardashians are undeserving of their fame. What’s more, 9 out of 10 Britons believe medical personnel deserve more recognition than these celebrities.

Kim, Kendall and Kris at LAX

Kim, Kendall and Kris at LAX

The team behind www.MoneySavingHeroes.co.uk conducted the study as a part of ongoing research into the attitudes British people have towards celebrities.

Initially, respondents were asked “Which celebrities do you believe are most undeserving of their fame?” When provided with a list of possible answers and asked to select all that applied, the following five answers emerged as the most undeserving

  1. The Kardashians – 71%
  2. Piers Morgan – 63%
  3. Katie Hopkins – 55%
  4. Logan Paul – 46%
  5. Donald Trump – 40%

When pressed on why these celebrities were most undeserving of their fame, 57% said they had no discernible talent, 36% said they were bad role models and 7% stated they had ‘no intelligence’.

Following recent news, all respondents were asked if they believed Kylie Jenner was a self-made billionaire to which just 1 in 8 (12%) said she was, with the remaining 88% disagreeing with this announcement.

Next, all respondents were quizzed on what profession they thought deserved the praise these celebrities receive, with 9 in 10 (91%) saying medical personnel (Doctors, Nurses etc.)

When all respondents were asked if they would like to swap lives with celebrities, 41% said they would, where as 59% said they wouldn’t. The main reason people didn’t want to switch places with these celebrities was because they believed they wouldn’t be able to handle the criticism from the media and public (64%).  

Finally respondents were asked what genre they think produces the most undeserving celebrities. Just under three quarters (74%) of respondents suggested reality TV produces the most ‘undeserving’ celebrities and  1 in 6 (16%) said YouTube.

George Charles, spokesperson for www.MoneySavingHeroes.co.uk, commented:

“Celebrities can become famous for a whole range of different reasons, some act, some sing and some film daily blogs and post them to YouTube. They do all have very different skill sets and, no matter your view on this, they do have to put up with a lot of criticism from the public which has to be draining. It is interesting how many Britons disagree with the announcement that Kylie Jenner is a self-made billionaire – she definitely has used her families money and status to enhance her position but you could argue that she has made some wise business decisions. Business decisions that are far easier to make when you have millions of dollars at your disposal.”