Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' has been named the best rock song of all time. The 1971 classic won 70 per cent of the vote in a poll by British radio station Planet Rock - despite never actually being released as a single. However, the rock ballad is one of the most covered of all time and has been sung by a host of stars, including Dolly Parton and Rolf Harris. Rock hits 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen, 'Smoke on the Water' by Deep Purple and 'Hotel California' by The Eagles also made the list. Planet Rock presenter Mark Jeeves said: "The number one may be seen as a rock clichÃ© but the truth is that it's probably the only rock song ever written that fans agree is a classic. "After all these years, there's still nothing to touch it." Led Zeppelin, which included frontman Robert Plant and legendary guitarist Jimmy Page, also landed two other Top 10 wins with 'Whole Lotta Love' in sixth place and 'Rock and Roll' at eight.
The Top 10 best rock songs are:1. Led Zeppelin - 'Stairway to Heaven'
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd - 'Freebird'
3. Queen - 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
4. Deep Purple - 'Smoke on the Water'
5. Black Sabbath - 'Paranoid'
6. Led Zeppelin - 'Whole Lotta Love'
7. The Eagles - 'Hotel California'
8. Led Zeppelin - 'Rock and Roll'
9. AC/DC - 'Highway to Hell'
10. Jimi Hendrix Experience - 'All Along The Watchtower'
Tagged in Led Zeppelin