Clark Middleton has died

Clark Middleton

Clark Middleton

The ‘Twin Peaks’ star passed away at the age of 63 on Sunday (04.10.20) after contracting West Nile virus, a mosquito-transmitted condition for which there is no cure.

His wife Elissa told Variety in a statement: “With heavy hearts we announce the passing of a life eminently worthy of celebration: Clark Tinsley Middleton, 63 – beloved actor, writer, director, teacher, hero, husband, beacon, friend.

“Clark transitioned on October 4th as a result of West Nile Virus, for which there is no known cure.

“Clark was a beautiful soul who spent a lifetime defying limits and advocating for people with disabilities.”

In humans, West Nile virus causes West Nile fever, but around 80% of sufferers experience few or no symptoms. Of the remaining 20%, they may develop a fever, headache, vomiting or a rash and a small minority, less than one per cent, can go on to suffer encephalitis or meningitis, with the risk of death among those who are afflicted in the nervous system being around 10%.

Clark – who battled juvenile rheumatoid arthritis for more than 50 years – was most recently seen as DMV boss Glen Carter in ‘The Blacklist’, and its writer Jon Bokenkamp has been left “heartbroken” by his passing.

He said: “I’m heartbroken. Besides being a truly unique and gifted actor, Clark was simply an incredible guy in every way. He was a whip-smart film nut. He loved his work with a passion. And he was insanely generous of spirit …

“I know his entire family at ‘The Blacklist’ is devastated by this news. Clark was one of the good ones, and we lost him way too soon.”

Clark began his career on stage in New York in 1983, but he also worked extensively in TV and film, including appearances in ‘Kill Bill Vol. 2’, ‘Sin City’, and ‘Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance).

He also taught acting for over 20 years in New York City, and was a spokesperson for the Arthritis Foundation. Donations can be made in his memory to the Clark Middleton Memorial Fund, which is part of the foundation.