Makes 18in / 20cm sponge cake (8 slices)
- 10oz / 250g butter, softened
- 10oz / 250g soft dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 8oz / 200g self-raising flour
- 2oz / 50g cocoa powder
- 10floz / 250ml Double cream
- 4 ½ oz / 120g Milk Chocolate McVitie's Digestives Nibbles
- 1lb / 450g mixed summer berries, strawberries (hulled and halved if large), raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
ï€ Preheat oven to fan oven 180C or conventional oven 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5. Grease and line 2 x 8in/20cm sandwich tins with baking parchment.
ï€ Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together until paler and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time adding a spoonful of flour with the last egg. Beat well.
ï€ Sieve the flour and cocoa together and fold into the creamed mixture. Spoon into the prepared tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed.
ï€ Cool in tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
ï€ Whip the cream until it holds its shape. Fold in half of the Milk Chocolate McVitie's Digestives Nibbles and half of the fruit. Use to sandwich the cakes together, reserving 2 tbsp/2x15mlsp cream for the top.
ï€Spread reserved cream over the top of the cake. Scatter remaining fruit and McVitie's Digestives Nibbles on top of cake. Cut into slices and serve.
Tagged in Recipe