A tasty dessert made with natural ingredients like barley found in Goose Island IPA. This is an interesting twist on a traditional classic, blending the taste of summer fruit with the IPA to create a show stopping sauce.
Prep Notes: For ease, each part of this recipe can be prepared in advance, with the final dish assembled on the night it is to be served. The panacotta can be prepared 2-3 days in advance, the Goose Island IPA strawberry soup 2 days in advance, and the barley flapjack
5 days in advance (if it is stored in an airtight container).
Tip: The barley flapjack will keep well in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.
For the Panacotta:
- 70g caster sugar
- 70g water
- 2 vanilla pods
- 2 leaves of gelatine
- 300ml full fat yogurt
- 200ml double cream
For the Strawberry Soup:
- 450g strawberries, frozen
- 100ml Goose Island IPA
- 50g caster sugar
For Barley Flapjack:
- 125g barley flour
- 100g barley flakes
- 125g light soft brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp barley molasses
- or golden syrup
- 100g fresh strawberries
- Add the gelatine to a small bowl with a little cold water to soften
- Split the vanilla pods and scrap out the seeds, add the seeds and pods to a small saucepan with the caster sugar and water. Gently heat until all of the sugar has melted. Set aside to infuse
- Remove the gelatine from the water and squeeze off the excess water. Add to the vanilla syrup and heat gently until the gelatine has melted. Leave to cool
- Mix the yoghurt and cream together in a bowl
- Add the cooled vanilla syrup to the yoghurt and cream and mix well
- Spoon the mixture into serving glasses and chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, until set
For the strawberry Goose Island IPA sauce:
- Place all of the ingredients into a zip lock bag and seal
- Place the bag into a pan of simmering water, for 15-20 minutes until the strawberries have released all of their juice
- Strain the sauce through a fine strainer, into a small bowl. Do not push the fruit through the sieve; allow the juice to drain freely
For the barley flapjack:
- Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/gas 4
- Mix the flour, barley flakes and sugar together in a bowl
- Heat the remaining ingredients in a small pan, for 2-3 minutes until the butter has melted
- Pour the liquid mix on to the dry ingredients, mix well
- Spread the mix onto a parchment paper lined 22cm x 22cm baking tray
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Remove the set Panacottas from the fridge. Decorate with sliced fresh strawberries and barley flapjack, finish with Goose Island IPA strawberry soup.
- Serve with a cold bottle of Goose Island IPA.
Jimmy Doherty has partnered with AB InBev to open the Barley Beerstro, a unique dining experience that heroes beer and barley. Jimmy has designed a beautifully crafted taster menu using some of the country's most popular beers. Each recipe uses barley as a base ingredient, highlighting the incredible benefits the supergrain gives through both taste and nutritional benefit.
Tagged in Recipe