Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 5 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 200ml whipping cream
- 100g Rachel's Low Fat Rhubarb yogurt
- 4 tbsp strawberry conserve
- 150g fresh strawberries, sliced
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and grease and line two 20cm/8 inch round sandwich tins.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla using an electric whisk. The mixture should double in volume and leave a trail.
- Using a large metal spoon, add half the flour and gently fold in. Follow this with half the oil then add the remaining flour and oil.
- Pour the batter into each tin evenly. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden and springy to touch.
- Allow the sponges to cool slightly in the tins and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream until soft peaks form and gently fold in the yogurt - try and achieve a ripple effect. Sandwich the cakes by spreading over the strawberry conserve, then add the sliced strawberries and spread over the cream and yogurt mixture.
- Dust with icing sugar, serve or chill until required.
Cost per serving (150g): 50p
Per serving (150g): 483kcal, Protein: 8.3g, Carbs: 48.2g, Sugar: 34.6g, Fat: 28.2g, Sat Fat: 9.3g, Fibre: 1.2g, Salt: 0.1g
Tagged in Recipe