Every day we do things that can damage our teeth. A vibrant smile can not only make you feel more confident, but healthy teeth and gums are key to your overall health. Yet, we’re all guilty of having habits that are detrimental to our dental hygiene.
London Smiling’s Dr. Uchenna Okoye qualified at the prestigious Guy’s Hospital, King’s College London and was the resident dentist on Channel 4’s 10 Year’s Younger - so, it’s safe to say she knows what’s best for your pearly whites. Today, she’s bringing us her top five habits that could be stealing your smile away:
1. Brushing aggressively: brushing is great, but firm bristles or pressed motions when brushing can wear down you gums and cause bleeding. Take your time when brushing and replace your toothbrush every two to three months to keep the bristles soft. Better still, do as I do and invest in an electric toothbrush. I recommend Oral-B because it has the best science behind it and also has an indicator that slows down the bristles if you’re pushing too hard.
2. Biting your nails: if you find yourself biting your nails on a too frequent basis, then you’re placing unnecessary stress onto your jaw. Instead, try bitter-tasting nail polishes and/or keeping a stress ball to keep your hands busy with.
3. Clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth: both are nervous habits that can increase the risk of deteriorate teeth or a misaligned jaw. Alongside intermittent headaches and jaw pain. If you spot yourself clenching, put your tongue between your teeth. Overtime, this trains you to relax your jaw.
4. Constant snacking: reaching over for one more biscuit or sugary food does more harm than good. When you eat in-between meals, the cavity-causing bacteria feats on leftover food. In turn, producing an acid that attacks the outer shell of your teeth. Try and eat balanced meals to feel fuller and less-yearning to snack. But if you do, eat low-sugar foods and follow with a glass of water to wash away leftover foods.
5. Using teeth as a toolbox: teeth are made for eating, not for opening up that Amazon package. Biting open packages or holding objects with your teeth when your hands puts you at higher risk of your teeth cracking. Instead, take a minute to put things down or find the appropriate tool you need for the job.
LONDON SMILING is a private dental practice that aims to treat the whole person and look after not only your dental health, but overall wellbeing; and offers a holistic approach that embraces both new and traditional approach for all types of dental issues. Offering both dental and cosmetic procedures for their guests (not ‘patients’).
The practice is headed by the UK’s best known cosmetic dental expert and Channel 4’s celebrity dentist for 10 Years Younger, Dr. Uchenna Okoye.
Locations all over London, in Gloucester Road, Goodge Street, and the iconic Harley Street!
- 10 Harley Street, London, W1G 9PF
- 62A Goodge St, Fitzrovia, London W1T 4NE
- 75 Gloucester Road, London SW7 4SS
Tagged in Dental Health