Audrey Hepburn’s French twist has been named the most influential hairstyle ever in a poll of UK hairdressers conducted to mark the release of Tangled, Disney’s 50th animated film, on Blu-ray and DVD today.
The style icon’s up-do from Breakfast at Tiffany’s is the most requested salon style in the country, beating Jennifer Aniston’s ‘The Rachel’ and Victoria Beckham’s ‘Pob’.
A panel of top hairdressers* were asked to vote for the top ten iconic hair styles, and it seems that classic styles from the 50s and 60s are still cutting it today as Marilyn Monroe’s blonde curls came second, while the pixie crop that Twiggy made famous was placed third.
The results show that even animated characters can influence hair trends with Ariel, The Little Mermaid, coming in at number four. Now Disney’s latest heroine, Rapunzel, appears to be inspiring little girls to grow their hair long. According to those polled there has been an increase in queries of how to get long, healthy locks since the film was released.
The full top ten:
1. Audrey Hepburn - her French twist has been copied on the red carpet, at weddings and glamorous occasions for 50 years
2. Marilyn Monroe - the screen siren’s platinum blonde curls are the enduring look of the 1950s
3. Twiggy - Her boyish crop complete with side parting revolutionised hair styles in the late 60s
4. Ariel - Disney’s own red-headed mermaid is credited by some with inspiring Rihanna’s long red locks on the cover of Vogue
5. Jennifer Aniston - ‘The Rachel’, a bouncy, square layered look, is still so popular more than 15 years later that it has its own Wikipedia page
6. Victoria Beckham - From long, brunette extensions to short, blonde spikes, there aren’t many styles Mrs B hasn’t tried, her now infamous Pob is the most popular
7. Cheryl Cole - Cheryl’s flowing chestnut locks are hard to recreate without natural hair extensions, but her tresses are still high on the request list in UK salons
8. Rihanna - RiRi says she dyed her hair as a way to express herself and her bright red hue is the most copied colour of the moment
9. Demi Moore - Demi’s rocked a few memorable looks over the years but none more daring than her GI Jane shaven head. Many have tried to copy the look, but no-one else has pulled it off with such style
10. Eva Longoria - Eva’s tresses are always perfectly tamed making her honeyed locks number ten on the list of most desirable styles
The survey was conducted to celebrate the release of Disney’s Tangled, which hits shops today on 3D Superplay, Blu-ray Double Play & DVD. Tangled is an hilarious re-imagining of the classic Grimm Brothers fairytale, Rapunzel.
Kidnapped at birth and locked in an imposing tower by the wicked Mother Gothel (Donna Murphy), Rapunzel (Mandy Moore) is a beautiful, feisty teenager with 70 feet of magical, golden hair.
Her lonely existence is interrupted when the kingdom’s most wanted - and most charming - thief, Flynn Rider (Zachary Levi), takes refuge in her tower while being pursued by the authorities.
Realising that Flynn could be her ticket to the outside world, Rapunzel strikes a deal with the handsome bandit and the unlikely duo set off on an action packed adventure filled with danger, magic, excitement and hair, lots of hair!
Tagged in Audrey Hepburn