Our skeleton hold us up, helps us move and protects our internal organs; so ensuring good bone health must not be overlooked. Osteoporosis, the condition whereby bones lose their strength and are more likely to break, is estimated to affect more than 3 million people in the UK and results in 500,000 fractures every year. Don’t be one of them! Use the following facts to help you learn a little more about your bones and how you can start to help them out…

Our skeleton is continuously renewing itself

Our skeleton is continuously renewing itself

Our skeleton is continuously renewing itself thanks to two types of bones cells found in the bone marrow; osteoclasts dissolve old bone and osteoblasts build new bone

During childhood and adolescence more bone is deposited than withdrawn -up to 90% of peak bone mass (PBM) can be attained by age 18 in girls and age 20 in boys

PBM can still be attained up until age 30 but after this age there is a gradual loss in bone mass; especially in women post menopause who can suffer losses of up to 20% in the first 5-7 years post menopause

Genetic and environmental factors are responsible for influencing approximately PBM -75% of our PBM is down to genetics and the remaining 25% can be attributed to lifestyle and environmental factors, such as nutrition and exercise

In addition to the bone-building mineral calcium; copper, magnesium and potassium all play important roles in promoting strong bones

Aside from vitamin D, vitamin K and vitamin B12 promote bone remodelling -Whilst vitamin D is crucial in the absorbance of calcium, vitamin K is useful in ‘turning on’ osteocalcin; a protein needed for bone building. The B complex of vitamins also help out by promoting the role of osteoblasts in bone remodelling

Other than micronutrients, protein is needed to form collagen- the mesh structure within bones that minerals are attached to in order to build strength

Limiting caffeine consumption may be appropriate to some people as a high intake can increase calcium losses in urine

Impact sport can be great for bones! As bones are living tissues that respond to forces going through them by getting stronger, weight bearing sport such as tennis or dance can give very positive results

Risk factors for osteoporosis include smoking, potentially down to direct effects of cigarettes or due to other negative associations linked to smoking such as lack of exercise and poor nutrition

Thankfully our bones can be given an extra boost (alongside good dietary and lifestyle habits) through use of the marine based, plant-extracted LithoLexal products. Previously awarded the ‘Ingredient of the year’ status at the Health Ageing Awards, nutrients from these unique supplements are naturally better absorbed than their rock-based alternatives and can therefore be more effective in the body. Coming in three different forms to account for joint health, bone health and extra bone care, these products are exclusively available at Holland & Barrett at £24.95 per 60 tablets (one month’s supply).

Tagged in