Wellhouse Leisure has done a remarkable job in converting Toyota’s Proace van into a fully functional state of the art four-berth campervan that is a pleasure to drive and equipped to a very high standard.
The Toyota Proace Matino Campervan is perfect for any family that loves the outdoors, loves camping, and loves travel, as it would open so many avenues, allowing them to travel throughout the UK and for the more adventurous to travel further afield to destinations in Europe.
The Toyota Proace Matino campervan conversion by Wellhouse Leisure, is a four-berth model powered by Toyota’s 2.0-litre, 120bhp turbodiesel engine and is perfect for comfortable holidays at any time of year, we took ours around North Wales in November so that tells its own story.
The Matino has a kitchen complete with a fridge, sink and gas cooker. It has a rear seat that cleverly unfolds to become a double bed, a fold-up roof that contains another double bed.
For use especially useful in November there is a system of programmable heating, using a series of ‘smart batteries aided by an 80W solar panel that will keep the leisure battery charged when camping off-grid.
Electronic gadgets can be charged using the 12v and 240v sockets and USB ports. There are dark-tinted rear windows for added privacy.
Based on Toyota’s Proace van and powered by a 128bhp 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine, it drives well, with high scores on steering, brakes, handling, acceleration, and economy.
Inside the cab is a dream, features the likes of a padded steering wheel with full set of controls, electric folding mirrors with heating function, air conditioning, cruise control, heated seats with eight-way adjustability, heated windscreen, curtain airbags and more.
There is a very user-friendly dashboard with an 8in touchscreen infotainment centre with DAB and Bluetooth connectivity that also acts as a reversing monitor and links to Google Maps.
Elsewhere the Matino sports fittings such as the alarm/immobiliser system with tracker, front and rear parking sensors, rear wash/wipe, front fog lights... it’s a long list.
Camping - The Matino is well laid out for daytime use, both cab seats swivel round and by pushing the rear seat back to its farthest point there’s ample room to use the pedestal-leg top with tripod. It’s also easy to push the roof and upper bed up to give yourself extra headroom. Again, standard equipment levels are impressive. There’s heating with a single air blower in the cab passenger’s seat base, a solar panel and smoke and CO alarms. Also an easy to erect roll away awning is built onto the side of the Proace Matino to give more space when parked up.
Kitchen Area - There is a two-ring gas hob and sink, which sit under smoked glass lids, a compressor fridge finishes of the domestic gadgets. There is ample deep drawer storage around, the largest locker is next to the fridge and houses a portable loo, there are also two very good-sized eye-level lockers.
Sleeping - The main bed is situated in the lower level. To put it up the rear seat base pulls forward and through a smart system folds its three sections out flat. To make the most of the width there’s a fold out section along the passenger side. Before using for the first time, it’s worth noting the retainer catches for the seat base take a bit of getting used to but, once you master the release catches it is easy and simple to erect.
Overhead is the upper sleeping area, again it is a decent size, accessible by ladder, for added safety a lift up section of bed board means nothing will drop on the occupants below.
There are stacks of LED lighting, including downlighters along both sides of the main living area, reading lamps, ambient strips at floor level, lights to the underside of the roof bed, lights over each swivelled cab seat and a downlighter in the upper bed area. Blackout curtains keep you nice and private.
One of the things we at Female First are known for is classifying a great vehicle as “being able to look after its passengers” well the Proace Matino not only does that but it is flexible, practical, great off grid, versatile, and can only be described as a perfect “Home from home” perfect for the family.
The Toyota Prace Matino is also a great campervan for none campers,those who love their home comforts and a touch of luxury who love sleeping on a bed in the warmth - basically just about nyone would love this leisure vehicle.
It proved the perfect campervan even in November.
Toyota Motors Proace Matino Children in Need
Full Vehicle Spec
- Toyota Proace based
- 120PS or 180PS 2.0 turbodiesel (Euro 6)
- Stop/start technology
- Pro Touch 7-inch multimedia system with sat-nav
- DAB radio, Bluetooth connectivity and USB
- Colour TFT information display and 4 speakers
- Cab air conditioning (chilling feature in glovebox)
- Cruise control with speed limiter
- Power steering and adjustable steering column
- Electric mirrors and auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Remote locking with keyless entry
- Front fog lights
- Twin airbags
- Tinted windows and glazed tailgate with wash wipe
- Full size spare wheel
- 4.95m long x 1.92m wide x 1.98m high
- Maximum weight 3,100kg
- Available in a choice of 4 colours
- Toyota Safety Sense (Pre-Collision System with pedestrian detection, Adaptive Cruise Control, Cornering Lights, Head-Up Display, Acoustic and Athermic Windscreen
- Ultrasonic Alarm
- Front & rear parking sensors
- Electric, heated folding mirrors with Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
- Metallic paint as standard
- For more info on base vehicle please click here. Toyota base vehicle link
- UK-made elevating roof system with optional upper roof bed with German Froli springs
- Driver and passenger swivel seats
- Multi-position crash-tested German rear seat system with two 3-point seatbelts
- Lower bed measures 6ft 2in x 3ft 10in (1.88m x 1.17m)
- Attractive Italian-designed curved cabinets with LED mood lighting
- Italian flush-fitting two-burner hob and sink
- 25-litre Italian compressor fridge
- Webasto 2kw Blown air heating with mobile phone app and tracker
- 8-inch colour screen digital control panel with fresh & wastewater tank levels.
- 12V & 240V power points
- Leisure battery
- 100w Solar panel
- Dark tinted glass all round with side sliding windows on both side doors.
- Four travel seats (Optional single seats available, depending on model)
- Lower bed Mattress.
- Gas BBQ point.
- Fresh & water water tank.
Optional habitation accessories include awnings and alots of exciting kit.