Hideaways International reveals its timely list of the world's hottest "non-fiscal" cliffs to experience in 2013. These are dramatic sea cliffs with breathtaking views and heart-stopping drop-offs, the kind where the outlook is actually inspiring.
Mike Thiel, Founder and President of Hideaways International Inc, said: "All the talk of a looming fiscal cliff got us thinking about the real, must-see-in-your-lifetime cliffs we've encountered in 34 years of global travels.
"Our picks for 'Top 7 Non-Fiscal Cliffs' are dramatic sea cliffs with breathtaking views and heart-stopping drop-offs, the kind where the outlook is actually inspiring. And, unlike the impending fiscal cliff, each one will leave you feeling on top of the world,” he said.
Hideaway.com’s Top 7 Non-Fiscal Cliffs:
1. Capri, ItalyThis rocky island off the picturesque Amalfi Coast has towering cliffs that harbor countless caves and rock formations and offer awe-inspiring views. "Capri is a magnet for the rich, famous, and powerful, a place to enjoy the high life both literally and figuratively," Mike says. Hideaways hotel picks: Hotel Villa Marina Capri or Capri Palace.
2. Ta Cenc Cliffs, MaltaOn Malta's outlying island of Gozo, the Ta Cenc (pronounced "Ta Chench") cliffs rise some 470 feet above sea level. "Gozo is where the Maltese and savvy Europeans go to chill out-but a walk along the very accessible edge of the Ta Cenc Cliffs will get your heart racing," Mike says. "From these heights, you can drink in absolutely stunning views of the cobalt Mediterranean." Hideaways resort pick: Hotel Ta' Cenc.
3. Cliffs of Moher, IrelandSoaring more than 700 feet above a wild five-mile stretch of Co. Clare, where the Irish coastline meets the rugged Atlantic Ocean, the Cliffs of Moher are one of the most impressive natural landscapes in all of the Emerald Isle. "The finest view of the cliffs is from the observation area at O'Brien's Tower," Mike says. "On a clear day, you can see all the way to the Aran Islands, 30 minutes away by ferry." Hideaways hotel pick: Dromoland Castle.
4. Na' Pali Coast, Kauai"Pali" means "cliffs" in Hawaiian, and Kauai's northern coastline has them in spades. "There's nothing quite like hiking along the 11-mile Kalalau trail," Mike says. "Jungle, waterfalls, and colorful birds flitting about to the left; dolphins and whales frolicking in the azure Pacific to the right!" Hideaways resort pick: St. Regis Princeville Resort.
5. Cabo Girao, MadeiraThis lofty sea cliff is set along the southern coast of the island of Madeira, in this Portuguese archipelago off the Atlantic coast of North Africa. Towering as much as 1,932 feet above sea level, these cliffs are among Europe's highest. "A transparent glass skywalk similar to the one at the Grand Canyon was recently unveiled here, so you can experience a vertigo-inducing view over the rocky cliff face-it has a real 'gasp' factor," Mike says. Hideaways hotel pick: Reid's Palace.
6. White Cliffs of Dover, EnglandComposed mainly of soft, white chalk, Dover's famous White Cliffs are highly symbolic and undoubtedly one of Britain's most spectacular natural features. "A series of dramatic cliff-top walks offer spectacular year-round views of the busy English Channel and the French coast," says Thiel. Hideaways hotel picks: Make this a day trip from London, and stay at The Athenaeum or Corinthia Hotel London.
7. Santorini, GreeceAn ancient volcanic explosion created the island of Santorini's distinctive crescent-shaped rim of steep, 1,300-foot cliffs. "Just as impressive as these cliffs are the ever-changing cloudscapes and the special light that permeates this panorama," Mike says. "Ah, to be sipping a glass of wine on the terrace of a hideaway clinging to these cliffs… completely mesmerized by the vista!" Hideaways resort picks: Mystique or Vedema Resort.
Mike adds: "Hopefully, this whole issue of the impending 'fiscal cliff' will disappear soon but thankfully, these majestic and awe-inspiring natural cliffs will be around to 'wow' us for generations to come."
For a full review of Hideaways' "Top 7 Non-Fiscal Cliffs," go to www.Hideaways.com/Cliffs.