Global Visas.com has put together a top ten list of random questions asked by people looking to get a visa for 12 months and you will not believe some of the things they were asked!
- 'I've heard that cocaine is legal in Columbia; is this true?' - an enquiry from a visa applicant looking to move there from France.
- 'Do you know if it's easier to find a wife in England? I'm struggling here.' - said a Peruvian applicant for a UK visa.
- 'Is everybody friends with the Queen?' - asked a Japanese applicant looking to move to England.
- 'If I live in America, will I be a movie star?' - asked a Filipino applicant
- ‘I want to be closer to Elton John. He doesn’t come to Togo. Do you see him much in Britain?’ - a man from Togo professing to be Elton John's biggest fan and looking to move to the UK to be closer to his hero.
- 'Is it legal to marry your car?' - a question posed by a man from the United States looking to move to Guatemala.
- 'I've committed a serious crime, but I haven't been caught or convicted. Will I be immune once I move?' asked an alarmingly honest individual from Italy.
- 'Is it illegal if I don't speak Dutch?' asked one applicant from the Middle East who was looking to secure a Shengen visa for the Netherlands.
- 'Somebody told me that Australia was founded by criminals. Do I have to have a criminal record to move there?' a Malaysian based enquiry for an Australian visa.
- 'I don't have a passport. If I sail to Portugal but don't fly will they let me live there?' - asked a UK resident looking to move there.
Liam Parry, of GlobalVisas.com had the following comment to make:
"We see all sorts of unusual things during the visa application process but, generally speaking, that goes with the territory. When somebody is moving from one culture to live in another there's bound to be an element of misunderstanding about laws and customs."
"Our experts aim to assist as much as they can, and can be relied upon to answer the vast majority of visa related queries. With some of the above though, there's often a period of silence before they can formulate a suitable response!"