Michaela Strachan's dogs have been poisoned by crystal meth.

Michaela Strachan

Michaela Strachan

The 55-year-old TV presenter had to rush her pet pooches Rio and Timmy to the vet when they could barely stand up after a walk in Cape Town, South Africa, where she lives.

And the 'Springwatch' co-host thinks her canines may have overdosed on the drug, known as Tik in the country, after they ate some human faeces of a homeless drug addict.

She wrote on Instagram: "It’s been a rough night. After walking my dogs through a ruined fort on the mountain yesterday, a few hours later they looked like they were both having seizures and couldn’t stand up. We rushed them to the vet and she recognised the symptoms as an overdose of a drug called Tik, Crystal meth, apparently the ruined fort is where a lot of homeless people hang out and take tik so the dogs must’ve eaten human poo with tik in it! (sic)"

The former 'Really Wild Show' presenter nursed her dogs throughout the night as they woke up "confused, disorientated, paranoid and spaced out".

She added: "Extraordinarily The vet has come across the problem before. Spent the night nursing them through their hectic trips as they shook, twitched, vomitted and peed. Waking up confused, disorientated, paranoid and spaced out. Fortunately they seem to be through the worst of it this morning. Seriously, you couldn’t make it up! (sic)"

But, fortunately, the canines were later "back to their old selves".

She shared another post of the pooches on the beach.

Michaela - who has lived in South Africa since 2002 - wrote: "Rio and Timmy on the beach and back to their old selves. Tails wagging, noses wet, tongues out and chasing seaweed. Seemingly none the worse for their guest appearance in Breaking Bad! Thank you for all your comments and support. Weird experience!! (sic)"